Military support comes in many different forms. And as France continues it’s intervention in Mali, the wider EU debate over just what kind of assistance to give to the French rages on.
Didier Reynders, Belgium’s Foreign Minister reiterated his country’s desire to back the operation.
“We want to work together behind France but also in the international operation that should take over, and I hope it does so quickly.”
Whilst Germany has confirmed logistical and medical support, Denmark will send another Hercules to add to the British air support.
And Catherine Ashton, the EU foreign policy chief echoed those comments of EU solidarity.
“We need to accelerate our course of action. We want to deploy that mission as quickly as possible and certainly quicker than planned. Those circumstances have changed.”
But some quarters are scathing of what they see as a political reluctance to show some real commitment to the conflict from EU member states.
Daniel Cohn-Bendit, Co-chair of the European Free Alliance criticised the German decision to offer only medical support.
“Madam Ashton, you said ‘We, we are concerned.’ Everyone says ‘We’ but there are only French soldiers over there. The French were told ‘We’ll give you nurses, now go and get killed in Mali.’”
France is intending to increase its 800 troops to 2,500. But will there be any boots on the ground from other EU countries?
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union