Military support comes in many different forms. And as France continues it’s intervention in Mali, the wider EU debate over just what kind of assistance to give to the French rages on.
Didier Reynders, Belgium’s Foreign Minister reiterated his country’s desire to back the operation.
“We want to work together behind France but also in the international operation that should take over, and I hope it does so quickly.”
Whilst Germany has confirmed logistical and medical support, Denmark will send another Hercules to add to the British air support.
And Catherine Ashton, the EU foreign policy chief echoed those comments of EU solidarity.
“We need to accelerate our course of action. We want to deploy that mission as quickly as possible and certainly quicker than planned. Those circumstances have changed.”
But some quarters are scathing of what they see as a political reluctance to show some real commitment to the conflict from EU member states.
Daniel Cohn-Bendit, Co-chair of the European Free Alliance criticised the German decision to offer only medical support.
“Madam Ashton, you said ‘We, we are concerned.’ Everyone says ‘We’ but there are only French soldiers over there. The French were told ‘We’ll give you nurses, now go and get killed in Mali.’”
France is intending to increase its 800 troops to 2,500. But will there be any boots on the ground from other EU countries?
- 1Schengen under pressure after terror attacks
- 2Europe Weekly: Belgium under scrutiny after terror alert dropped
- 3Shifting cargo from road to water
- 4Russia envoy to EU sees ‘negative impact’ on Turkey ties
- 5Climate change – will the Paris summit see a meeting of minds on how to tackle global warming?
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 15Latest sport news
- 16‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 17Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Romanians’ cold revolt against corruption
- 19Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary