Military support comes in many different forms. And as France continues it’s intervention in Mali, the wider EU debate over just what kind of assistance to give to the French rages on.
Didier Reynders, Belgium’s Foreign Minister reiterated his country’s desire to back the operation.
“We want to work together behind France but also in the international operation that should take over, and I hope it does so quickly.”
Whilst Germany has confirmed logistical and medical support, Denmark will send another Hercules to add to the British air support.
And Catherine Ashton, the EU foreign policy chief echoed those comments of EU solidarity.
“We need to accelerate our course of action. We want to deploy that mission as quickly as possible and certainly quicker than planned. Those circumstances have changed.”
But some quarters are scathing of what they see as a political reluctance to show some real commitment to the conflict from EU member states.
Daniel Cohn-Bendit, Co-chair of the European Free Alliance criticised the German decision to offer only medical support.
“Madam Ashton, you said ‘We, we are concerned.’ Everyone says ‘We’ but there are only French soldiers over there. The French were told ‘We’ll give you nurses, now go and get killed in Mali.’”
France is intending to increase its 800 troops to 2,500. But will there be any boots on the ground from other EU countries?
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 10Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 11Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 12Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 13Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 14Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 15Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 16Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 17Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Migrant tripped up in Hungary gets Spanish football job
- 20[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place