Officials and activists in Syria say more than 80 people have been killed in two devastating explosions at Aleppo University. Reports suggest more than 160 others were wounded.
The blasts, at one of Syria’s largest universities, were clearly timed to cause maximum chaos as they coincided with the first day of exams. The campus lies in the government-controlled area.
State television said there had been one explosion at the halls of residence. A second blast is reported to have been caused by a nearby burning car.
The official Syrian news agency blamed “terrorists” for the blasts. But activists say that the campus buildings were hit by missiles fired by the military.
Aleppo, Syria’s commercial centre, has largely been under siege since last July. After nearly two years of fighting, rebels have so-far been thwarted in their attempts take the city by better-armed government forces.
- 1Simplify MPs expenses to improve transparency, says campaigner
- 2Belgium gives everyone radiation protection pills
- 3Venezuela’s second city looted
- 4Berlin and Vienna pressure Rome to take responsibility for migrants
- 5A leading German politician says the country’s mosques should come under state control
Latest world news
Iraq: al Sadr supporters storm Green Zone and parliament
Drastic cuts in EU mobile roaming charges come into effect
Germany: hundreds arrested as anti-immigrant AfD congress starts
Rescue teams keep searching after deadly Kenya collapse
Ireland: Minority government deal breaks political deadlock
Wires > News
- 14:55 CET Afghan forces launch push against Taliban
- 14:51 CET Air strikes pound Syrian city of Aleppo, death toll climbs
- 14:42 CET China, Japan more upbeat on ties but challenges remain
- 13:31 CET Cries heard as rescuers search rubble of Nairobi building, at…
- 12:53 CET Left-wing protesters clash with German police before right-wing…
- 12:44 CET Italy merchant ship rescues 26 migrants off Libya, others feared…
- 12:36 CET Russia defends intercept of U.S. reconnaissance plane over Baltic
- 12:23 CET Bomb attack on Shi’ite pilgrims in Baghdad kills at least 19 -…