Tens of thousands of people remain on the streets of Islamabad after a call for a peaceful revolution from the Sunni cleric Tahirul Qadri.
Back from exile in Canada, he wants the military and judiciary to install a caretaker government in Pakistan to oversee the upcoming elections.
His call has divided the population.
Some see Qadri as a champion of reform. Others fear he is a stooge of the military, which has a history of coups and interfering in elections.
Things turned nasty at first light as police fired rubber bullets and tear gas as crowds converged on the parliament building.
Qadri, a moderate, is thought to want to encourage peaceful demonstrations similiar to those in Cairo’s Tahrir Square that ended in the fall of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 2Ukrainian army storms illegal checkpoints killing at least five
- 3MH370: bad weather halts search as ‘unidentified material’ found on Australian coast
- 4Turkish prime minister talks of ‘shared pain’ in statement on Armenian killings
- 5War of words grows more heated as Russia accuses the US of ‘running the show’ in Ukraine
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 5Dragon docks at International Space Station
Wires > News
- 19:58 CET Israel suspends peace talks after Palestinian unity bid
- 19:48 CET Costa Rican ‘miracle’ woman was key to John Paul’s sainthood
- 19:23 CET Three Americans killed in Kabul hospital attack
- 19:12 CET At least six killed as poll violence hits restive Indian regions
- 18:40 CET Netanyahu: Israel will never negotiate with Hamas-backed government
- 18:38 CET South Sudan to free prisoners as pressure mounts for peace deal
- 17:49 CET Egypt’s army says has ‘complete control’ over Sinai Peninsula
- 17:48 CET Israel suspends peace talks with Palestinians – Israeli official