Tens of thousands of people remain on the streets of Islamabad after a call for a peaceful revolution from the Sunni cleric Tahirul Qadri.
Back from exile in Canada, he wants the military and judiciary to install a caretaker government in Pakistan to oversee the upcoming elections.
His call has divided the population.
Some see Qadri as a champion of reform. Others fear he is a stooge of the military, which has a history of coups and interfering in elections.
Things turned nasty at first light as police fired rubber bullets and tear gas as crowds converged on the parliament building.
Qadri, a moderate, is thought to want to encourage peaceful demonstrations similiar to those in Cairo’s Tahrir Square that ended in the fall of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak.
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 16Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 17At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 18Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 19‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Wires > News
- 06:41 CET Gunmen in Egypt kill guard outside Niger embassy
- 06:41 CET Magnitude 6.3 earthquake rattles south-central Alaska
- 05:57 CET Malaysian parliament investigation of state fund on hold
- 05:54 CET Pakistan police say kill head of banned sectarian group
- 04:45 CET More than 2,000 migrants tried to enter Channel Tunnel in France
- 03:34 CET Singapore arrests man who tried to join Islamic State
- 02:55 CET Magnitude 5.9 quake hits Panama-Colombia border, no reports of…
- 00:59 CET Romania’s PM Ponta to go on holiday amid criminal probe