Chinese artist Song Dong has arrived in Sydney Australia with his exhibition “Waste Not”, which has already been seen in New York and London, and is now at Carriageworks.
More than 10,000 items are on display. They were all collected and hoarded over a period of 50 years in Beijing by the artist’s mother.
He said: “For my mother’s generation, but I think the whole generation, they hoped to keep everything because they lived in a really hard time. My mother said, ‘I don’t want to show that. If I show that, your friends will know your mother is messy, so it’s not good for you. But I said, if we do this together, to show them, to show your life, to show our life, my father will be happy, my friends will be happy, and I will get famous!”
The installation offers an unusual insight into Chinese family life, and includes furniture, ornaments, kitchenware, clothes and even empty plastic bottles and toothpaste tubes.
Lisa Havilah, the curator of the installation at Carriageworks, said: “I think there’s a very strong emotional pull when you see these objects. Even though they are not telling a story of you, they make you think about what objects you travel through your own life with.”
The exhibition runs until March 17, 2013.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 11European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 17Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 20Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news