Chinese artist Song Dong has arrived in Sydney Australia with his exhibition “Waste Not”, which has already been seen in New York and London, and is now at Carriageworks.
More than 10,000 items are on display. They were all collected and hoarded over a period of 50 years in Beijing by the artist’s mother.
He said: “For my mother’s generation, but I think the whole generation, they hoped to keep everything because they lived in a really hard time. My mother said, ‘I don’t want to show that. If I show that, your friends will know your mother is messy, so it’s not good for you. But I said, if we do this together, to show them, to show your life, to show our life, my father will be happy, my friends will be happy, and I will get famous!”
The installation offers an unusual insight into Chinese family life, and includes furniture, ornaments, kitchenware, clothes and even empty plastic bottles and toothpaste tubes.
Lisa Havilah, the curator of the installation at Carriageworks, said: “I think there’s a very strong emotional pull when you see these objects. Even though they are not telling a story of you, they make you think about what objects you travel through your own life with.”
The exhibition runs until March 17, 2013.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union