Chinese artist Song Dong has arrived in Sydney Australia with his exhibition “Waste Not”, which has already been seen in New York and London, and is now at Carriageworks.
More than 10,000 items are on display. They were all collected and hoarded over a period of 50 years in Beijing by the artist’s mother.
He said: “For my mother’s generation, but I think the whole generation, they hoped to keep everything because they lived in a really hard time. My mother said, ‘I don’t want to show that. If I show that, your friends will know your mother is messy, so it’s not good for you. But I said, if we do this together, to show them, to show your life, to show our life, my father will be happy, my friends will be happy, and I will get famous!”
The installation offers an unusual insight into Chinese family life, and includes furniture, ornaments, kitchenware, clothes and even empty plastic bottles and toothpaste tubes.
Lisa Havilah, the curator of the installation at Carriageworks, said: “I think there’s a very strong emotional pull when you see these objects. Even though they are not telling a story of you, they make you think about what objects you travel through your own life with.”
The exhibition runs until March 17, 2013.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation