Somali militants have posted a picture of what they claim is the second French commando killed after a failed attempt to save a French hostage.
He was part of a mission this weekend to rescue Denis Allex, whose fate remains unknown. But al Shabaab says a message concerning him is forthcoming.
Allex was one of two French secret service officers kidnapped by al Shabaab in the capital Mogadishu. His colleague managed to escape after a month
Planning for the raid to free Allex is understood to have begun in December and coincides with the launch of French air strikes on al Qaeda affiliated rebels in Mali but the operations are unconnected.
Al Shabaab wants to impose their strict version of sharia, or Islamic law, across the Horn of Africa state. It is calling on France to end its support for the Somali government and a withdrawal of the 17,600-strong African peacekeeping force propping up the UN backed administration.
Copyright © 2013 euronewsMore about:
- 1Mandela Memorial Sign Language Interpreter a ‘Fraud’
- 2Former Thai prime minister charged with murder
- 3Social networks respond to mystery sign language and Obama ‘selfie’ at Mandela memorial
- 4Uruguay makes history by legalising entire marijuana market
- 5US considers sanctions against Ukraine as Yanukovych’s offer of talks with the opposition is rejected
- 1Uruguay makes history by legalising entire marijuana market
- 2Mandela Memorial Sign Language Interpreter a ‘Fraud’
- 3Riot police raid Kyiv’s central square
- 4What’s God got to do with it?, asks Nobel Prize in Physics winner
- 5Italy: ‘Pitchfork protesters’ disrupt road and rail travel in protest at state of economy
- 19:36 CET Brahimi sets deadline for naming Syrian delegations to peace talks
- 19:25 CET U.S. embassy condemns Romanian broadcast of anti-Semitic carol
- 18:59 CET Israel delays Bedouin resettlement plan
- 18:47 CET Congo signs peace deal with M23 rebels – Kenya presidential…
- 18:36 CET Greece to stop collecting property tax via electricity bills
- 18:35 CET Turkish minister’s visit raises hopes of thaw with Armenia
- 18:23 CET Kerry returns to region to pursue faltering Mideast peace talks
- 18:19 CET Catalonia sets referendum date next year, Spain says it won’t…