14/01/13 16:35 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Somali militants have posted a picture of what they claim is the second French commando killed after a failed attempt to save a French hostage.
He was part of a mission this weekend to rescue Denis Allex, whose fate remains unknown. But al Shabaab says a message concerning him is forthcoming.
Allex was one of two French secret service officers kidnapped by al Shabaab in the capital Mogadishu. His colleague managed to escape after a month
Planning for the raid to free Allex is understood to have begun in December and coincides with the launch of French air strikes on al Qaeda affiliated rebels in Mali but the operations are unconnected.
Al Shabaab wants to impose their strict version of sharia, or Islamic law, across the Horn of Africa state. It is calling on France to end its support for the Somali government and a withdrawal of the 17,600-strong African peacekeeping force propping up the UN backed administration.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Kasich crashes out of race leaving Trump unchallenged for Republican nomination
Israeli authorities discuss a halt on returning attackers’ bodies
Europe responds to Syria’s spiralling crisis
Several trapped, 1 dead, in eastern Ukraine mine blast
Russia boosts western border defence with new divisions
Wires > News
- 18:55 CET U.S., allies to do more to combat Islamic State – Carter
- 18:52 CET ‘Nasty’ wildfire spurs evacuation of 88,000 in Canadian city
- 18:43 CET NATO approves Israeli representation to its headquarters
- 18:38 CET U.S. Navy SEAL killed in Iraq was part of ‘quick reaction force’
- 18:36 CET Russia’s FSB says arrests group planning attack in Moscow region -…
- 18:29 CET Syria withholds aid to thousands, risks new siege in Aleppo – U.N.
- 17:33 CET Russia warns of retaliation if NATO makes more deployments in…
- 17:25 CET Al Qaeda in Yemen poses growing threat to shipping – naval force