14/01/13 16:35 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Somali militants have posted a picture of what they claim is the second French commando killed after a failed attempt to save a French hostage.
He was part of a mission this weekend to rescue Denis Allex, whose fate remains unknown. But al Shabaab says a message concerning him is forthcoming.
Allex was one of two French secret service officers kidnapped by al Shabaab in the capital Mogadishu. His colleague managed to escape after a month
Planning for the raid to free Allex is understood to have begun in December and coincides with the launch of French air strikes on al Qaeda affiliated rebels in Mali but the operations are unconnected.
Al Shabaab wants to impose their strict version of sharia, or Islamic law, across the Horn of Africa state. It is calling on France to end its support for the Somali government and a withdrawal of the 17,600-strong African peacekeeping force propping up the UN backed administration.
- 1Istanbul attack: suspects thought to hail from former USSR
- 2UK: who are the Famous Five?
- 3Putin rejects new arms race and builds bridges with Turkey
- 4The EU’s 27 leaders ‘unite’ as they view the future minus the UK
- 5Brussels summit closes with questions on how the European Union will function in the future in the wake of Brexit
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Wires > News
- 01:56 CET U.S. urges leaders of Armenia, Azerbaijan to avoid tensions
- 01:51 CET Woman dies, children hurt in Bahrain bomb blast – police
- 01:44 CET Trump floats idea of using NATO in fight against Islamic State
- 01:32 CET Document spells out FBI rules to get journalists’ phone records -…
- 01:15 CET Lower voting age leaves many wondering ‘Where’s Japan’s Bernie?‘
- 01:12 CET Hopes for democracy crushed in the Chinese rebel village of Wukan
- 00:53 CET Obama administration calls on private sector to assist refugees
- 23:10 CET U.S., Russia discuss Syria cooperation if Assad halts some strikes