Serbia’s parliament has paved the way for ethnic Serbians in Kosovo to be given autonomy within Kosovo’s legal framework.
But the resolution brings fresh problems to EULEX, the EU civilian mission which supports the Kosovo authorities in the rule of law.
Bernd Borchardt, the new head of EULEX told Euronews about the organisation’s objectives.
“We support the implementation of the outcome of the political dialogue between Belgrade and Pristina. And secondly, in our executive work, we focus on what we call strengthening the technical advice of the Kosovan side, and facilitate the implementation of the rule of law in northern Kosovo. “
The move by the Serbian parliament comes five years after Kosovo declared independence from Serbia and has been hailed a milestone.
But despite pressure from the EU, the Serbian resolution still falls short of recognising Kosovo’s 1.7 million people as independent.
EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton will chair talks between Serbian Prime Minister Ivica Dacic and Hashim Thaci, the Kosovan Prime Minister later this week, with a view to improving relations between the embattled neighbours.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 7[LIVE] Confusion over reports two killed in Paris shootout, as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 10Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 14Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 15Getting to know Sir Tony and “the world’s greatest tenor” | euronews, musica
- 16HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news