Serbia’s parliament has paved the way for ethnic Serbians in Kosovo to be given autonomy within Kosovo’s legal framework.
But the resolution brings fresh problems to EULEX, the EU civilian mission which supports the Kosovo authorities in the rule of law.
Bernd Borchardt, the new head of EULEX told Euronews about the organisation’s objectives.
“We support the implementation of the outcome of the political dialogue between Belgrade and Pristina. And secondly, in our executive work, we focus on what we call strengthening the technical advice of the Kosovan side, and facilitate the implementation of the rule of law in northern Kosovo. “
The move by the Serbian parliament comes five years after Kosovo declared independence from Serbia and has been hailed a milestone.
But despite pressure from the EU, the Serbian resolution still falls short of recognising Kosovo’s 1.7 million people as independent.
EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton will chair talks between Serbian Prime Minister Ivica Dacic and Hashim Thaci, the Kosovan Prime Minister later this week, with a view to improving relations between the embattled neighbours.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 16US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news