Serbia’s parliament has paved the way for ethnic Serbians in Kosovo to be given autonomy within Kosovo’s legal framework.
But the resolution brings fresh problems to EULEX, the EU civilian mission which supports the Kosovo authorities in the rule of law.
Bernd Borchardt, the new head of EULEX told Euronews about the organisation’s objectives.
“We support the implementation of the outcome of the political dialogue between Belgrade and Pristina. And secondly, in our executive work, we focus on what we call strengthening the technical advice of the Kosovan side, and facilitate the implementation of the rule of law in northern Kosovo. “
The move by the Serbian parliament comes five years after Kosovo declared independence from Serbia and has been hailed a milestone.
But despite pressure from the EU, the Serbian resolution still falls short of recognising Kosovo’s 1.7 million people as independent.
EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton will chair talks between Serbian Prime Minister Ivica Dacic and Hashim Thaci, the Kosovan Prime Minister later this week, with a view to improving relations between the embattled neighbours.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far