Serbia’s parliament has paved the way for ethnic Serbians in Kosovo to be given autonomy within Kosovo’s legal framework.
But the resolution brings fresh problems to EULEX, the EU civilian mission which supports the Kosovo authorities in the rule of law.
Bernd Borchardt, the new head of EULEX told Euronews about the organisation’s objectives.
“We support the implementation of the outcome of the political dialogue between Belgrade and Pristina. And secondly, in our executive work, we focus on what we call strengthening the technical advice of the Kosovan side, and facilitate the implementation of the rule of law in northern Kosovo. “
The move by the Serbian parliament comes five years after Kosovo declared independence from Serbia and has been hailed a milestone.
But despite pressure from the EU, the Serbian resolution still falls short of recognising Kosovo’s 1.7 million people as independent.
EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton will chair talks between Serbian Prime Minister Ivica Dacic and Hashim Thaci, the Kosovan Prime Minister later this week, with a view to improving relations between the embattled neighbours.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 7Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 11European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 15Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 16Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 18Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass