Many people in Mali say they are relieved at the French intervention to try to halt the Islamist advance.
Schools in and around Bamako have reopened. They were closed because of concern over security and after street demonstrations in which some students became involved.
However there are fears that Islamist groups may try to launch an attack on the capital.
Security has been stepped up at the French embassy because of fears of retaliation.
Life has been disrupted for the 6,000 French nationals living in Bamako.
“We’re constantly waiting, it builds up anxiety and uncertainty. We never know, and we hope now that the intervention has started, things will go back to normal soon” said Viviane Vincent, A French resident of Bamako for 15 years.
Unlike Malian schools, the French secondary school in Bamako remains closed, despite the presence of three officers from France’s elite anti-terrorist police.
But only a small number of French residents have chosen to return to France.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Funeral of singer Demis Roussos held in Athens
- 273-year-old Sicilian Sergio Mattarella is Italy’s new president
- 3No more Troika talks as Greece seeks new debt deal
- 4Greece warned against reversing austerity as it rejects bailout administrators
- 544 police commandos killed in anti-terror op mourned in Philippines
- 1Ukrainian artillery fire thwarts rebel plan to surround government troops in Debaltseve
- 244 police commandos killed in anti-terror op mourned in Philippines
- 3Greece warned against reversing austerity as it rejects bailout administrators
- 4Gunman interrupts Dutch broadcast to demand airtime before being arrested
- 5‘Positive signs’ Greece will work together with lenders to reach deal
- 1Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 2French co-pilot was at controls of doomed AirAsia passenger plane say investigators
- 3No word on Japanese hostages after ISIL deadline passes
- 4Japan and Jordan join forces to secure release of two of their nationals from the hands of ISIL
- 5Ukrainian rebel attacks on city of Mariupol are condemned by the UN as a war crime
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6[LIVE] Second hostage crisis erupts in Paris as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 7Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 10Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 13Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 16HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 17NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Getting to know Sir Tony and “the world’s greatest tenor” | euronews, musica
- 19Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
- 20International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
Wires > News
- 21:45 CET Anti-euro German AfD party aims to end leadership dispute
- 21:21 CET Exclusive – FBI says it had no prior knowledge of Phillipine raid…
- 21:11 CET Suspected U.S. drone strike kills Al Qaeda militants in Yemen
- 21:08 CET NASA satellite to measure water in Earth’s soil sent into orbit
- 20:51 CET U.S. general says Syrian town of Kobani taken from Islamic State
- 20:47 CET Chile’s Bachelet takes on conservatives with plan to ease abortion…
- 20:44 CET Iraq’s PM pledges hard line against alleged militia abuses
- 20:41 CET Israeli soldiers kill Palestinian in the West Bank