A politically sensitive festival is taking place in a remote village in the former Yugoslav republic of Macedonia.Residents of Vevcani use their pagan celebration to poke fun at Athens by staging events like mock funerals. Greece and Macedonia have been at loggerheads for years over the latter’s name.
Latest world news
Forensic teams identify victims of Ataturk airport attack as relatives mourn
Black box confirms smoke on board doomed EgyptAir flight
Russia extends ban on Western food products
Atatürk Airport attack – why did it happen?
Nicola Sturgeon gets ‘sympathetic’ reception in Brussels over Brexit
Wires > News
- 01:03 CET Home-grown militants and ex-major behind Bangladesh attacks…
- 00:55 CET U.S.-led strikes pound Islamic State in Iraq, kill 250 fighters
- 00:48 CET Brazil could dismiss Rousseff the day before Olympics ends
- 00:05 CET No fanfare as Philippines’ Duterte prepares to take office
- 00:03 CET Chinese national gets 30 months in U.S. prison for military exports
- 23:44 CET North America leaders mount strong defence of trade despite threats
- 23:10 CET Urging tougher stance, U.N. adds 2,500 peacekeepers to Mali
- 21:56 CET Obama urges Venezuela to respect democratic process