Islamist rebels in Mali have seized control of a small town from government forces, despite the military intervention by France.
Reports say the counter-attack on Diabali was led by a leader of one of the main jihadist groups, al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb.
One security source said the rebels came from the Mauritanian border to avoid being bombarded by French planes. They reportedly crossed a river in small groups to re-take the town 400 kilometres north of the capital Bamako.
France has said it does not want to act alone in Mali. The French Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said overall the intervention was going well, and in eastern Mali the rebels had been forced back.
“There remains one difficult point in the west, where we are dealing with heavily armed groups and where operations are taking place at the moment alongside Malian forces who fought bravely last Friday in the east,” he said.
France has called for a meeting of the UN Security Council. It says its intervention on Friday in the face of a rebel advance stopped the Islamists from seizing the capital.
President Hollande says the aim is simply to support a West African military mission to retake northern Mali.
Islamist leaders have threatened to attack France in retaliation.
Britain is sending a cargo plane carrying military equipment and medical facilities for the French forces.
Meanwhile Algeria has said it is closing its borders with Mali.
- 1Warning or no warning – tension grows between Russia and Turkey over downed jet
- 2Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 3No violation, no warning, a premediatated provocation growls Moscow
- 4Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 5Turkey’s NATO ambassador defends downing of Russian fighter jet
- 1Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 2Russia says second SU-24 crew member safe and back at base in Syria
- 3Turkey insists it seeks no fight with Russia on its Syrian border as Russia boosts air base defences
- 4Calls for calm as tensions rise over Turkish downing of Russian jet
- 5Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 41000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 10world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 11Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 14Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 15Latest sport news
- 16Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 17No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 18‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 19‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 20Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
Latest world news
Hollande adds Italy to his coalition before heading to Moscow
Pope disgusted by ‘barbarous attacks’ in God’s name
Southern Australia burns as fatal bushfires destroy wildlife and livestock
Brazil’s Petrobras scandal claims two more scalps – a billionaire and a politician
UN launches programme to combat violence against women
Wires > News
- 11:18 CET U.N. envoy says Russia-North Korea deportation pact puts refugees…
- 11:18 CET China military in talks for logistics ‘facilities’ in Djibouti
- 11:17 CET German lawmakers to discuss support for France in IS fight
- 11:16 CET German lawmakers to discuss support for France in IS fight
- 11:10 CET Saudi Arabia imposes sanctions on 12 Hezbollah leaders for…
- 11:08 CET Bangladesh says kills military chief of banned Islamist group
- 11:08 CET Russia to help Cambodia build capacity for nuclear power
- 11:05 CET Dutch court rules that migrants’ right to food, shelter not…