If football is a religion for many of its fans, for some of those studying in the seminaries of Vatican City, religion is also football.
The Clericus Cup is an annual five-a-side tournament involving seminarians and priests in the Catholic Church’s equivalent of the Champions League.
The tournament is hotly contested with 16 teams and more than 70 different countries represented.
Organised into a series of league and play-off games, the Cup sees teams take on each other in highly competitive yet good-natured and brotherly games of football until one of them is eventually crowned champion.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 3Latest News Bulletin
- 4At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 5Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 6[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 10Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 11Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 12Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 13Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 14Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 15[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 16Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank
- 17Fifa suspends Blatter, Platini and Valcke
- 18Kicked down in Hungary, saved by Spain
- 19Catalan president Artur Mas charged with organising illegal independence referendum
- 20Hungary’s army can shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at refugees
Thai FA chief Makudi suspended by FIFA ethics committee
Racket Man: Sir Elton John hits a winning note at charity match
Former Liverpool striker Cisse released following blackmail arrest
Injured Ireland skipper O’Connell retires from international rugby
Slovakia and Russia book Euro 2016 spot as England complete perfect campaign
Wires > Sport
- 19:47 CET Sunderland’s Allardyce wants better record in north-east
- 19:37 CET Federer knocked out in Shanghai opener
- 19:05 CET All Blacks expect a few French surprises
- 18:15 CET Insatiable Ronaldo collects fourth Golden Shoe award
- 18:13 CET Bayern winger Coman doubtful for Werder game
- 18:08 CET Controversial Effenberg named as Paderborn coach
- 18:03 CET Kyrgios in hot water again in Shanghai
- 17:54 CET UEFA open disciplinary case against Moldovan Federation