The stars were out in force for this year’s Golden Globes, which in Hollywood are second in importance only to the Oscars.
The night’s big winner was Iran hostage thriller Argo which won best film as well as best director. Receiving his award, Ben Affleck thanked his family: “I want to thank my three kids – I’m going to forget their names – Violet, Sera and Sam. I love you guys. And I want to thank my wife, who is the reason I am standing here. I adore you. I love you so much.”
Jessica Chastain won best actress for her role in Zero Dark Thirty, and made her thank you speech on the verge of tears: “I’ve wanted to be an actor since I was a little girl. And I worked for a really long time. I’ve auditioned and struggled and fought and been on the sidelines for years. And to be here now in this moment, it’s a beautiful feeling to receive this encouragement and support. Thank you so much.”
Daniel Day Lewis won best actor for playing the title role in Lincoln.
Hugh Jackman won best actor in a musical or a comedy for Les Miserables.
It was a good night for Austria. Christoph Waltz won best supporting actor for “Django Unchained”. He said: “Let me gasp. Thank you. Thank you so much ladies and gentlemen of the Hollywood Foreign Press for this accolade. It’s extraordinary. Quentin, you know that my indebtedness to you and my gratitude knows no words.”
And the best foreign language film award, presented by Arnold Schwarzenegger, went to Austrian director Michael Haneke for Amour, and in his acceptance speech he joked: “I never thought to be given an award in Hollywood by an Austrian!”
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 10Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 11Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 12Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 13Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 14Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 15Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 16Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 17Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Migrant tripped up in Hungary gets Spanish football job
- 20Hungary’s army can shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at refugees