An air strike on a rebel-held town southwest of the Syrian capital Damascus has left 20 people dead, according to opposition activists.
Latest unverifiable video appears to show the scale of destruction around the city.
It comes a day after activists claim forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad killed at least 36 people, 14 of them children, in bombardments of rebel-held eastern areas near the capital.
Some sources say this air, rocket and artillery campaign is the heaviest since rebels overran a helicopter base and missile base near Damascus
two months ago and encroached on the main international airport.
Meanwhile, aid agencies are warning that Syria’s civil war is unleashing what they call a “staggering humanitarian disaster”.
Many of the hundreds of thousands of refugees who have fled the fighting have cited fear of rape as their main reason for leaving the country, claiming that gang rapes often occur in front of family members.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Latest world news
Fatal rebel rocket attack on government hospital in Aleppo says Syrian state TV
Spain arrests four men allegedly behind on-line Islamist Radicalisation plot
Probe indicates falsified documents in Flamanville nuclear plant construction
Turkey to abolish visas for Greek Cypriots
Australia vows no change in asylum policy after Somali woman sets herself on fire
Wires > News
- 12:22 CET China to investigate hospital dying student found on search engine
- 12:15 CET Rebel rockets hit Aleppo hospital, dozens of casualties – Syrian…
- 12:08 CET Czechs to hike healthcare salaries to stop doctors from leaving…
- 11:59 CET Spanish King calls national election for June 26
- 11:52 CET U.S. service member killed in Iraq – U.S. defence chief
- 11:48 CET France’s Hollande sends labour bill to parliament in face of…
- 11:38 CET Australian government delivers sombre election budget for…
- 11:13 CET China slashes influential Communist Youth League’s budget