A topless protest interupted Pope Benedict’s weekly prayers at the Vatican.
Four activists from the Ukrainian women’s rights group Femen hit out at the Catholic Church’s opposition to gay marriage.
They stripped off their shirts to reveal the words “Shut up” and “In Gay We Trust” printed on their bare chests and backs.
The protest was quickly interrupted by Italian police who, after a struggle, managed to carry away the four protesters.
Most in the crowds looked on in shock, but one woman was so enraged by the topless protesters she hit one with her umbrella and she called them “devilish and diabolical”.
Activist leader Inna Shevchenko said: “Today we go with a message to the Pope to shut up his mouth and not to give his advices to those people who decide to legalise gay marriage. Today we are here to protest against homophobia.”
The Vatican has become increasingly vocal against gay marriage and adoptions in recent months. The Pope strongly reaffirmed the Church’s opposition to gay marriage in December, saying heterosexual marriage had an indispensable role in society.
The Vatican newspaper on Sunday stressed that children should be raised by a father and a mother after Italy’s top appeals court granted a gay mother custody of her son, prompting a debate over gay adoption.
Pope Benedict did not seem to notice the demonstration.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 2Who is the EU’s worst at spending Brussels’ billions?
- 3ISIL fighters ‘flee’ Iraq’s Sinjar as Peshmerga troops ‘make gains’
- 4New laws to ‘wipe out’ militants after Pakistan school massacre
- 5New Romanian President Klaus Iohannis vows to tackle corruption
- 1Rosetta team is euronews’ people of 2014
- 2Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 3‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 4Australia: two hostages and gunman dead after police storm Sydney siege café
- 5Putin answers press questions on Ukraine, NATO and the Russian economy
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 3Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 4Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 5McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 8Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 9Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 10Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 13Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 14Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 15Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 18Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 19Catalonia announces new ‘independence plan’ | euronews, world news
- 20Pakistan Taliban ‘kill over 100’ in Peshawar school attack | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 08:22 CET South Korea nuclear plant operator says hacked, but no risk to…
- 08:07 CET Man stages new protest on ledge of St. Peter’s in Vatican
- 07:38 CET China issues property registration rules to aid anti-graft drive
- 07:04 CET British tsunami brothers use funky footwear to help children – TRFN
- 06:55 CET Court orders partner of Sydney hostage-taker jailed
- 05:22 CET Senior Chinese leader to visit Vietnam amid sea tension
- 05:07 CET China foreign minister says willing to help Russia
- 03:47 CET China tells U.S. opposes all forms of cyber attacks, ‘terrorism’