A topless protest interupted Pope Benedict’s weekly prayers at the Vatican.
Four activists from the Ukrainian women’s rights group Femen hit out at the Catholic Church’s opposition to gay marriage.
They stripped off their shirts to reveal the words “Shut up” and “In Gay We Trust” printed on their bare chests and backs.
The protest was quickly interrupted by Italian police who, after a struggle, managed to carry away the four protesters.
Most in the crowds looked on in shock, but one woman was so enraged by the topless protesters she hit one with her umbrella and she called them “devilish and diabolical”.
Activist leader Inna Shevchenko said: “Today we go with a message to the Pope to shut up his mouth and not to give his advices to those people who decide to legalise gay marriage. Today we are here to protest against homophobia.”
The Vatican has become increasingly vocal against gay marriage and adoptions in recent months. The Pope strongly reaffirmed the Church’s opposition to gay marriage in December, saying heterosexual marriage had an indispensable role in society.
The Vatican newspaper on Sunday stressed that children should be raised by a father and a mother after Italy’s top appeals court granted a gay mother custody of her son, prompting a debate over gay adoption.
Pope Benedict did not seem to notice the demonstration.
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
Kurdish-led militias launch offensive against ISIL-held Raqqa
Paris attacks: victims families seek answers
UN chief Ban voices his disappointment as first World Humanitarian Summit closes
Monsanto rejects Bayer multi-billion dollar bid
US comedian Bill Cosby ordered to stand trial for sexual assault
Wires > News
- 00:50 CET Pakistan can’t confirm Taliban leader is dead, criticises …
- 23:17 CET Daughter of detained Hong Kong bookseller appeals for U.S. help
- 23:01 CET Brazil’s Temer seeks constitutional change to curb public spending
- 22:19 CET Egyptian appeals court cancels five-year jail terms for 47 over…
- 22:11 CET Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- 22:07 CET Myanmar poet’s jail term ‘like from the old days’
- 21:21 CET U.S.-backed Syrian alliance launches new attack near IS capital
- 21:14 CET Two Colombian journalists missing after Spanish reporter vanishes