Organisers of a mass rally on Sunday against plans to legalise gay marriage in France claim that more than 800,000 people turned out in support. French police said it was more like 350,000 people. Even for protest-prone France, the numbers were high.
President Francois Hollande has vowed to pass the law – which would also allow gay adoption - by June.
One rally speaker demanded that the proposed bill be withdrawn and called for a more thorough public debate.
“For such an important social change, there needs to be support from the majority of people. It’s a really considerable change we’re making to society,” said Parisian Francois Geobiry.
“I hope the demonstration will have an impact. The fact that so many people have taken to the streets shows that it is in fact a law which is not accepted by lots of people. What we need now is a referendum,” said another protester, Guillaume Romaneix.
Support for gay marriage has slipped to below 55 percent according to the latest surveys. Previously nearly two-thirds of French people backed the plans.
But Hollande’s office says the protest would not change his mind over the new law. Gay marriage is already legal in 11 countries.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 2Canada raises its terror threat following attack on soldiers
- 3Another battle for Ukraine as winter approaches amid gas row
- 4‘Criminal negligence’ blamed for death of Total boss Christophe de Margerie
- 5Maritime drama deepens as Sweden extends ‘mystery submarine’ search
- 1Maritime drama deepens as Sweden extends ‘mystery submarine’ search
- 2German intelligence report blames pro-Russian rebels for MH17 crash
- 3‘Criminal negligence’ blamed for death of Total boss Christophe de Margerie
- 4Total boss dies in Moscow air crash
- 5Total oil CEO Christophe de Margerie dies in Moscow plane crash; snowplough driver was ‘drunk’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 10Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 19Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 18:49 CET Iraqi Kurds approve sending fighters to aid Syrian town
- 18:46 CET Canadian parliament locked down, one suspect reported dead
- 17:56 CET U.S. Ebola ‘czar’ starts work, drugmakers launch vaccine drive
- 17:53 CET Ukraine leader’s bloc holds election lead, Tymoshenko threatened -…
- 17:43 CET Car driven into bystanders at Jerusalem railway stop
- 17:42 CET Germany calls for clarification on Ukraine cluster bomb accusations
- 17:19 CET Arrest made after infant bodies discovered in Canadian locker
- 17:11 CET French riot police clash with migrants seeking UK entry