Organisers of a mass rally on Sunday against plans to legalise gay marriage in France claim that more than 800,000 people turned out in support. French police said it was more like 350,000 people. Even for protest-prone France, the numbers were high.
President Francois Hollande has vowed to pass the law – which would also allow gay adoption - by June.
One rally speaker demanded that the proposed bill be withdrawn and called for a more thorough public debate.
“For such an important social change, there needs to be support from the majority of people. It’s a really considerable change we’re making to society,” said Parisian Francois Geobiry.
“I hope the demonstration will have an impact. The fact that so many people have taken to the streets shows that it is in fact a law which is not accepted by lots of people. What we need now is a referendum,” said another protester, Guillaume Romaneix.
Support for gay marriage has slipped to below 55 percent according to the latest surveys. Previously nearly two-thirds of French people backed the plans.
But Hollande’s office says the protest would not change his mind over the new law. Gay marriage is already legal in 11 countries.
- 1Massive petition calls for EU referendum re-run
- 2Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the footy
- 3Millions sign referendum re-run petition
- 4What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 5David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 1What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty explained
- 5EU friendly London shocked after Britain vote to leave
Latest world news
Turkey and Israel agree to normalise ties after rift over Israeli navy killing of 10 Turkish pro-Palestinian activists in 2010
French fans ecstatic after making the quarter finals
Pope Francis leaves Armenia
Thousands attend inauguration of enlarged Panama Canal
Italian mafia boss captured in mountain village
Wires > News
- 20:08 CET Italy rescues over 3,300 migrants over weekend
- 20:01 CET Pride parade steps off in New York under Orlando’s shadow
- 19:41 CET Israel and Turkey agree to normalise ties – senior Israeli official
- 18:55 CET Turkish police fire tear gas in Istanbul to disperse Gay Pride…
- 18:51 CET Italy arrests second most wanted mafia boss
- 17:57 CET Iraqi commander declares defeat of Islamic State in Falluja
- 17:54 CET Fallout from British EU vote alarms Asia, deepens party conflicts
- 17:31 CET Rosatom’s global nuclear ambition cramped by Kremlin politics