Organisers of a mass rally on Sunday against plans to legalise gay marriage in France claim that more than 800,000 people turned out in support. French police said it was more like 350,000 people. Even for protest-prone France, the numbers were high.
President Francois Hollande has vowed to pass the law – which would also allow gay adoption - by June.
One rally speaker demanded that the proposed bill be withdrawn and called for a more thorough public debate.
“For such an important social change, there needs to be support from the majority of people. It’s a really considerable change we’re making to society,” said Parisian Francois Geobiry.
“I hope the demonstration will have an impact. The fact that so many people have taken to the streets shows that it is in fact a law which is not accepted by lots of people. What we need now is a referendum,” said another protester, Guillaume Romaneix.
Support for gay marriage has slipped to below 55 percent according to the latest surveys. Previously nearly two-thirds of French people backed the plans.
But Hollande’s office says the protest would not change his mind over the new law. Gay marriage is already legal in 11 countries.
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
Kurdish-led militias launch offensive against ISIL-held Raqqa
Paris attacks: victims families seek answers
UN chief Ban voices his disappointment as first World Humanitarian Summit closes
Monsanto rejects Bayer multi-billion dollar bid
Wires > News
- 02:59 CET Japan PM Abe to meet with Obama, Cameron ahead of G7 summit
- 02:51 CET After benefits of cheap oil, India counts cost of reduced Gulf…
- 00:50 CET Pakistan can’t confirm Taliban leader is dead, criticises …
- 23:17 CET Daughter of detained Hong Kong bookseller appeals for U.S. help
- 23:01 CET Brazil’s Temer seeks constitutional change to curb public spending
- 22:19 CET Egyptian appeals court cancels five-year jail terms for 47 over…
- 22:11 CET Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- 22:07 CET Myanmar poet’s jail term ‘like from the old days’