The issue of gay rights is currently fuelling debate across Europe. In Croatia, lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender activists gathered outside Zagreb’s main cathedral.
This time, it was not about gay marriage, but education. The government and church are at loggerheads over a new curriculum for state primary schools, with sections on sexual minorities and gender roles.
“Over the last month the church has said that gay people are destroying Croatia, that they are destroying humankind. They have called us demons and said we are unnatural and against nature” said one man.
Another wanted to know why, if God gives us inspiration, did he then choose homosexuals as artists? People like Michelangelo, Tchaikovsky or Leonardo, he asked.
The church has criticised the proposed curriculum. saying it imposes a “gender ideology” upon young children and promotes unnatural lifestyles.
Riot police formed a barricade between pro and anti-gay supporters in the square. Three people were arrested.
Latest world news
Evacuations increase as wildfire spreads in Alberta, Canada
Six days on, survivors are found in collapsed Kenya building
‘We need everything’, Ecuador quake survivor tells euronews
Air strike kills dozens in Syrian refugee camp
Playing for Palmyra – Russia holds a concert in the ruins
Wires > News
- 02:13 CET Obama, Mexican president discuss immigration, anti-drugs fight -…
- 01:59 CET Philippine fishermen favour strong president to end China’s…
- 01:34 CET Air strikes hit camp in Syria, US condemns Assad statement
- 00:31 CET Trump says Britain would be better off without EU – Fox News
- 21:30 CET Depression reigns as EU presidents debate future of Europe
- 20:39 CET Ex-Venezuela parliament head sues News Corp over drug article
- 19:27 CET ‘Trump of the East’ widens lead in last poll before Philippine vote
- 19:15 CET Republicans grapple with whether to back Trump for White House