The issue of gay rights is currently fuelling debate across Europe. In Croatia, lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender activists gathered outside Zagreb’s main cathedral.
This time, it was not about gay marriage, but education. The government and church are at loggerheads over a new curriculum for state primary schools, with sections on sexual minorities and gender roles.
“Over the last month the church has said that gay people are destroying Croatia, that they are destroying humankind. They have called us demons and said we are unnatural and against nature” said one man.
Another wanted to know why, if God gives us inspiration, did he then choose homosexuals as artists? People like Michelangelo, Tchaikovsky or Leonardo, he asked.
The church has criticised the proposed curriculum. saying it imposes a “gender ideology” upon young children and promotes unnatural lifestyles.
Riot police formed a barricade between pro and anti-gay supporters in the square. Three people were arrested.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3More Mediterranean deaths as desperate migrants head to Europe
- 4U.S. Navy sends two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 5‘More powerful than a nuke’: Kim Jong-un refreshed after ‘climbing highest peak’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 6French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 7Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 12International news | euronews, latest international news
- 13Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 16Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 17Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 18French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 19[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 04:11 CET Auschwitz bookkeeper set to stand trial in Germany
- 03:34 CET Japanese PM Abe makes ritual offering at Yasukuni shrine
- 01:56 CET Bomb explodes at Spanish embassy in Libyan capital
- 01:50 CET At least five shot during Guinea opposition protests
- 00:34 CET Canada to issue passport to jailed Al Jazeera journalist Fahmy
- 00:26 CET U.S. offers Ukraine $17.7 million in humanitarian aid – White House
- 23:53 CET U.S. Navy sends more warships near Yemen in security move
- 23:48 CET Obama, Abu Dhabi crown prince discuss need for military equipment