The issue of gay rights is currently fuelling debate across Europe. In Croatia, lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender activists gathered outside Zagreb’s main cathedral.
This time, it was not about gay marriage, but education. The government and church are at loggerheads over a new curriculum for state primary schools, with sections on sexual minorities and gender roles.
“Over the last month the church has said that gay people are destroying Croatia, that they are destroying humankind. They have called us demons and said we are unnatural and against nature” said one man.
Another wanted to know why, if God gives us inspiration, did he then choose homosexuals as artists? People like Michelangelo, Tchaikovsky or Leonardo, he asked.
The church has criticised the proposed curriculum. saying it imposes a “gender ideology” upon young children and promotes unnatural lifestyles.
Riot police formed a barricade between pro and anti-gay supporters in the square. Three people were arrested.
- 1Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 2Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 3Fatal floods batter India, Myanmar, Pakistan, Vietnam and Nepal
- 4UK police investigated over alleged child sex abuse cover-up involving former Prime Minister
- 5Italy arrests mafia suspects after cracking ‘sheep code’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Wires > News
- 07:40 CET Returning Uighurs attacked Thai, Chinese police, China says
- 06:52 CET Pakistan hangs man lawyers say was a child when charged with murder
- 06:06 CET Japan A-bomb survivors speak out against nuclear power, decry…
- 05:12 CET China’s foreign minister to visit Ebola-affected countries
- 04:10 CET Blast in Korean DMZ wounds two South Korean soldiers – military
- 03:59 CET Illegal immigration a dominant theme at Republican forum even…
- 03:52 CET Obama administration faces criticism over human trafficking report
- 23:49 CET Russia says U.S. strikes on Syrian army would harm fight against…