13/01/13 17:35 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
French fighter jets have bombed Islamist rebels in central Mali for a third day on Sunday after claims the insurgents were just days away from seizing the capital Bamako.
The continuous air-strikes were being carried out around three towns. Forces also recaptured Konna, a strategically located central town, a day after it was seized by Islamist rebels.
Interior Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian told French radio: “There are raids happening at the moment, there will be more this afternoon and tomorrow. The determination of the French President is absolute: we must eradicate this terrorism that could threaten the security of Mali, the security of our country (France) and of Europe.”
Last April, al Qaeda-linked militants snatched control of the north of the country and have recently pushed south.
Paris deployed more than 500 troops to help prevent rebels advancing further.
Meanwhile hundreds of people have come forward to give blood to help injured Malian solders, after a request from the president.
At one centre in Bamako alone, medical staff collected more than 1,000 pouches in one day.
Mali’s West African neighbours are expected to deploy troops to support government and French forces over the next few days.
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 04:23 CET Argentine court finds 15 guilty in Operation Condor conspiracy
- 03:07 CET Colombia’s ELN rebels free three kidnapped journalists
- 02:31 CET Global airport trade group opposes new checkpoints after attacks
- 02:19 CET Lebanese Hezbollah ministers, MPs could be hit by U.S. law – …
- 00:50 CET U.S. ‘concerned’ about Libyan-Americans on trial in UAE – official
- 23:15 CET No new signal from EgyptAir jet since day of crash, search…
- 23:08 CET Poll gives Peru’s Fujimori 5.8 point lead a week before election
- 22:55 CET Putin says Romania, Poland may now be in Russia’s cross-hairs