The fate of French hostage Denis Allex is still unclear. Official sources say the government agent was killed during a rescue operation in Somalia on Saturday. But his kidnappers say he is still alive.
French officials have admitted the militant response to the operation came as a surprise.
France’s Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said they put up a much stronger fight than expected, especially in terms of of the heavy weapons used. “We underestimated that.” he said.
“Denis Allex has been held in inhuman conditions for three and a half years now, negotiations have got us nowhere and we were convinced he was in that exact spot.” he continued, “so I believe it was our duty to intervene.”
Denis Allex has been held by the militant group Al Shebab since being seized at a hotel in Mogadishu in July 2009.
Two French soldiers died in the raid in Somalia. Several militants were killed. While it came at the same time as French military intervention was announced in Mali, officials in Paris say there is no link.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Russia sanctions threaten to rebound on EU
- 2Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Israeli strike kills 19 Palestinians near Gaza market
- 5India: entire village buried under massive mudslide
- 1Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 2Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 3Russia defiant in face of tough EU-US sanctions
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Gaza: Deaths at Jebalya school after Israeli strike
Wires > News
- 06:51 CET Some WTO members discussing customs deal without India – sources
- 05:17 CET El Salvador detains Spanish priest for smuggling cell phones into…
- 23:05 CET Drug-resistant malaria reaches Southeast Asia borders, could…
- 21:47 CET Hezbollah commander killed in Iraq-sources
- 21:07 CET Kerry presses India on global trade deal as deadline looms
- 20:14 CET Shi’ite militia hangs up 15 executed Sunnis in Iraqi square
- 19:50 CET U.S. blacklists North Korea shipping firms over arms shipments
- 18:01 CET South Korea president’s party wins vote, green light for economic…