The Egyptian courts have accepted former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak’s appeal over his life sentence and ordered a retrial.
He was ousted from power following a revolution in Egypt in 2011.
Mubarak and his former Interior Minister were jailed over the deaths of anti-government protesters.
Judge Ahmed Ali Abdel Rahman said:
“The court has ruled to accept the appeal filed by defendants Hosni Mubarak and Habib Ibrahim el Adli and orders a retrial.”
There was a rapturous response from supporters, with one saying:
“This is a fair and correct verdict and thank God for that. Viva justice and congratulations to Mubarak.”
The retrial will be conducted by a different panel of judges, but will be based on the same evidence used in the previous trial.
But the 84-year-old’s ailing health may be taken into account, according one of his lawyers.
- 1Five children among a dozen migrants to drown off Turkish coast
- 2New coin issued to mark Queen’s record reign
- 3Thousands stuck in Budapest as Hungary refuses to allow migrants to travel
- 4Schengen recoil could turn EU travel back 20 years
- 5Eurostar suffers severe delays as migrants attempt to block Channel Tunnel
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > News
- 14:38 CET Confrontation as Hungary police force migrants off train
- 14:36 CET Two bombs rock Cameroon town previously attacked by Boko Haram
- 13:58 CET Congo militia chief tried to protect civilians, war crimes court…
- 13:26 CET Sri Lankan Tamil named opposition leader for first time since 1983
- 13:16 CET China, Vietnam agree to ‘properly handle’ disputes
- 13:13 CET Iran’s Khamenei backs parliamentary vote on nuclear deal with…
- 12:49 CET At least 14 killed as boat overloaded with migrants capsizes off…
- 12:36 CET Bangladesh charges 13 over 2012 garment factory fire