The Egyptian courts have accepted former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak’s appeal over his life sentence and ordered a retrial.
He was ousted from power following a revolution in Egypt in 2011.
Mubarak and his former Interior Minister were jailed over the deaths of anti-government protesters.
Judge Ahmed Ali Abdel Rahman said:
“The court has ruled to accept the appeal filed by defendants Hosni Mubarak and Habib Ibrahim el Adli and orders a retrial.”
There was a rapturous response from supporters, with one saying:
“This is a fair and correct verdict and thank God for that. Viva justice and congratulations to Mubarak.”
The retrial will be conducted by a different panel of judges, but will be based on the same evidence used in the previous trial.
But the 84-year-old’s ailing health may be taken into account, according one of his lawyers.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 12Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 13International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > News
- 08:02 CET Rohingya Muslims found on boat rescued by Myanmar navy
- 07:30 CET Mass graves of suspected trafficking victims found in Malaysia -…
- 06:36 CET Nepal landslide blocks river, raises fears of flood reaching India
- 04:06 CET Saudi clerics urge calm as village hit by Islamic State seethes
- 03:40 CET French public back military intervention in Syria – poll
- 02:12 CET Polish presidential race too close to call, spells trouble for…
- 21:19 CET Russia to adopt tough position if Ukraine defaults – Medvedev
- 21:00 CET Israel thanks U.S. for stand on Mideast nuclear arms ban at U.N.