Flu has reached epidemic proportions and killed 20 children in the United States, according to the country’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Only figures for children who die of flu are recorded, making it hard to assess the overall number of people killed.
The government agency’s figures show that 24 out of 50 US states are showing high levels of flu activity. The illness has reached these levels before the usual peak period – at the end of January or in February.
The CDC also says this year’s flu vaccine appears to be around 62 percent effective against the currently circulating strains.
Tens of thousands of people die of flu in the US every year, even at times when there is no epidemic.
Copyright © 2013 euronewsMore about:
- 22:23 CET U.S. university drops claim Chinese dissident Chen was spied on
- 22:12 CET Iran foreign minister says nuclear deal dead if U.S. passes new…
- 22:09 CET Exclusive – Russia signs deal to forgive $29 billion of Cuba’s…
- 21:19 CET Former rebel mayor of Colombia’s capital removed from post
- 21:08 CET Pope calls hunger “global scandal,” urges lifestyle changes
- 21:06 CET Putin dissolves state news agency, tightens grip on media
- 20:58 CET Turkish court frees lawmaker in coup plot case pending appeal
- 20:52 CET U.N. to inspect Libya’s uranium stocks amid worsening security