Flu has reached epidemic proportions and killed 20 children in the United States, according to the country’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Only figures for children who die of flu are recorded, making it hard to assess the overall number of people killed.
The government agency’s figures show that 24 out of 50 US states are showing high levels of flu activity. The illness has reached these levels before the usual peak period – at the end of January or in February.
The CDC also says this year’s flu vaccine appears to be around 62 percent effective against the currently circulating strains.
Tens of thousands of people die of flu in the US every year, even at times when there is no epidemic.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 10Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 14Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 15Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 16euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 17All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > News
- 10:02 CET U.S. urges Japan to be ‘bold’ in Pacific trade pact talks
- 09:54 CET Total CEO de Margerie killed in Moscow as jet hits snow plough
- 09:43 CET Pilots threaten more strikes as Lufthansa walkout continues
- 08:52 CET Fukushima film shows reality sinking in for ‘nuclear refugees’
- 08:13 CET Australia set to help China seize assets of corrupt Chinese…
- 07:11 CET Exclusive – Iran offers ‘compromises’ in nuclear talks, West…
- 05:49 CET China likely to close ‘gift’ loophole in corruption fight
- 04:58 CET China to pitch high-speed trains to California