Flu has reached epidemic proportions and killed 20 children in the United States, according to the country’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Only figures for children who die of flu are recorded, making it hard to assess the overall number of people killed.
The government agency’s figures show that 24 out of 50 US states are showing high levels of flu activity. The illness has reached these levels before the usual peak period – at the end of January or in February.
The CDC also says this year’s flu vaccine appears to be around 62 percent effective against the currently circulating strains.
Tens of thousands of people die of flu in the US every year, even at times when there is no epidemic.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 00:19 CET Powerful earthquake rattles Mexico, shakes buildings
- 23:39 CET Besieged Muslims face murder, starvation in Central African…
- 22:40 CET Avalanche kills at least 12 guides in deadliest incident on Mount…
- 22:28 CET Special Report – How the U.S. made its Putin problem worse
- 21:54 CET Algeria’s ailing Bouteflika wins re-election
- 21:30 CET Top Hollande aide quits in conflict of interest row
- 20:50 CET Italy gives wife, daughter, of wanted Kazakh banker refugee status
- 20:07 CET Brazilian tycoon Batista investigated for financial crimes -reports