Flu has reached epidemic proportions and killed 20 children in the United States, according to the country’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Only figures for children who die of flu are recorded, making it hard to assess the overall number of people killed.
The government agency’s figures show that 24 out of 50 US states are showing high levels of flu activity. The illness has reached these levels before the usual peak period – at the end of January or in February.
The CDC also says this year’s flu vaccine appears to be around 62 percent effective against the currently circulating strains.
Tens of thousands of people die of flu in the US every year, even at times when there is no epidemic.
- 1Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 2Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 3UK police investigated over alleged child sex abuse cover-up involving former Prime Minister
- 4Fatal floods batter India, Myanmar, Pakistan, Vietnam and Nepal
- 5Italy arrests mafia suspects after cracking ‘sheep code’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Latest world news
Handling of a child sex abuse complaint against a former British prime minister to be investigated.
Talks on Ukraine take place despite escalation in fighting
Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
Fatal floods batter India, Myanmar, Pakistan, Vietnam and Nepal
Wires > News
- 06:52 CET Pakistan hangs man lawyers say was a child when charged with murder
- 06:06 CET Japan A-bomb survivors speak out against nuclear power, decry…
- 05:12 CET China’s foreign minister to visit Ebola-affected countries
- 04:10 CET Blast in Korean DMZ wounds two South Korean soldiers – military
- 03:59 CET Illegal immigration a dominant theme at Republican forum even…
- 03:52 CET Obama administration faces criticism over human trafficking report
- 23:49 CET Russia says U.S. strikes on Syrian army would harm fight against…
- 23:35 CET Sudan says Bashir plans to speak at U.N. summit in New York