Flu has reached epidemic proportions and killed 20 children in the United States, according to the country’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Only figures for children who die of flu are recorded, making it hard to assess the overall number of people killed.
The government agency’s figures show that 24 out of 50 US states are showing high levels of flu activity. The illness has reached these levels before the usual peak period – at the end of January or in February.
The CDC also says this year’s flu vaccine appears to be around 62 percent effective against the currently circulating strains.
Tens of thousands of people die of flu in the US every year, even at times when there is no epidemic.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 11:33 CET South Korea ferry fugitive hid in cabin wall, suitcases of cash at…
- 11:09 CET Suicide attack escalates Libya violence, oil output slips
- 11:04 CET Young Islamic State robs al Qaeda of militant prestige
- 08:29 CET French parliament adopts disputed rail reform
- 07:43 CET Oil smuggling finances Islamic State’s new caliphate
- 05:05 CET Airports in east China face delays due to military exercises
- 04:51 CET U.S. announces arrests in border crackdown on human smuggling
- 04:46 CET Peru’s Humala lifts party activists in cabinet shake-up