Paris is bracing for huge crowds to descend on the city for tomorrow’s anti gay marriage demonstration. Legalising same-sex marriage and adoption by homosexuals was one of the French president’s election promises, and he has said that he plans to press ahead with the legislation, no matter what.
Tens of thousands of demonstrators turned out last November however, to protest against same-sex marriage.
Frigide Barjot a comedian and activitst said: “The legal relationship between parent and child will change. It will no longer come from a man and a women as linked to nature but from a judicial viewpoint it will be from two men or two women, which is contrary to nature. This where there is a problem and that’s why we shouldn’t implement this law but a different one which institutes same-sex marriage without any procreation, making it a civil union.”
There have also been large demonstrations of support for the proposed legislation, with activists claiming that the right wing have seized on the issue as a good way of destabilising the Socialist government.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 2Ukrainian army storms illegal checkpoints killing at least five
- 3MH370: bad weather halts search as ‘unidentified material’ found on Australian coast
- 4Turkish prime minister talks of ‘shared pain’ in statement on Armenian killings
- 5War of words grows more heated as Russia accuses the US of ‘running the show’ in Ukraine
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 5Dragon docks at International Space Station
Wires > News
- 19:48 CET Costa Rican ‘miracle’ woman was key to John Paul’s sainthood
- 19:23 CET Three Americans killed in Kabul hospital attack
- 19:12 CET At least six killed as poll violence hits restive Indian regions
- 19:01 CET Israel suspends peace talks after Palestinian unity bid
- 18:40 CET Netanyahu: Israel will never negotiate with Hamas-backed government
- 18:38 CET South Sudan to free prisoners as pressure mounts for peace deal
- 17:49 CET Egypt’s army says has ‘complete control’ over Sinai Peninsula
- 17:48 CET Israel suspends peace talks with Palestinians – Israeli official