The conflict in Mali may draw in more outside help.
Preparations to send a training and advisory European mission are being sped up. Between 400 and 500 officers will bolster Malian troops.
Washington is considering supporting French troops already there with intelligence help and surveillance drones.
Stressing the seriousness of the west African country’s situation, during a televised address the president Diaoucunda Traorè said: “The government of Mali has taken the decision to declare a State of Emergency over the entire national territory. Every Malian, men and women, must consider themselves a soldier of the nation and act like one.”
French soldiers are already in Mali, helping the government fight an armed rebellion, which is sweeping the country.
Paris has also asked the UN to accelerate its plan to send in 3,000 African troops.
“Under the assistance framework set out in UN Resolution 2085, what is asked of all countries who want to help Mali is for each to see what they can concretely bring and see how that can be integrated into the operation,” said Operations Advisor to Malian Defence Ministry Colonel Abderamane Baby.
Mali descended into chaos last March when soldiers toppled the president, leaving a power vacuum that enabled Tuareg rebels to seize two-thirds of the country.
A UN report described Mali as being gripped by an aid disaster.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian rebel attacks on city of Mariupol are condemned by the UN as a war crime
- 2Spain: NATO plane crash kills 11, injures 21
- 3Fidel Castro breaks silence on Cuba-US talks to resume relations
- 4[As it happened] Remembering the Holocaust at Auschwitz, 70 years on
- 5Ex-Russian spy Alexander Litvinenko ‘killed at third attempt’
- 1Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 2German men ‘can use toilet while standing’, judge rules
- 3Captured Ukraine troops forced to face angry crowd after Donetsk bus stop shelling
- 4No word on Japanese hostages after ISIL deadline passes
- 5Thailand: Army urges respect for Yingluck Shinawatra impeachment
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 7[LIVE] Confusion over reports two killed in Paris shootout, as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 11Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 14Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 15HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Getting to know Sir Tony and “the world’s greatest tenor” | euronews, musica
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 00:50 CET Coroner promises quick probe into deaths of Sydney siege hostages
- 00:43 CET Fidel Castro in good health, Brazilian visitor says
- 23:52 CET Israel says Turkish criticism inappropriate at Holocaust memorial…
- 23:31 CET U.S. provides more aid to Ukraine, threatens to step up sanctions…
- 23:28 CET Venezuela’s Cabello – defector after money, can’t prove drug claims
- 23:03 CET Rohingya refugees say traffickers in Malaysia abuse and kill
- 22:27 CET Owner of gun that killed Argentine prosecutor emerges from hiding
- 21:55 CET Greek PM Tsipras freezes privatisations, markets tumble