The French airforce has stepped up action against Islamist fighters in Mali, where rebels have occupied the north of the country for the last nine months.
Several hundred French troops have also arrived in the country’s capital city Bamako to help protect it.
Meanwhile West African states including Ivory Coast are preparing to send troops as an international campaign against the Islamists gathers pace.
Jean-Marc Ayrault, the French Prime Minister, said: “France wants to contribute this way to stop the terrorist menace, which is not only threatenng Mali and Africa, but which is also a threat to France and Europe.”
French President Francois Hollande is due to meet European Commission president Jose Barroso.
Mali requested French invention was triggered when rebel forces moved southwards, capturing the city of Konna and threatening the cities of Mopti and Sevare, which is only 500kms from the capital city Bamoko. Konna has now been recaptured by the government.
A spokesman for al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb said he considered French actin as “crusader intervention”, and warned that if France continued, it would be “digging the tombs of [its] sons”.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Memorial march: “My hope for Russia has died with the death of Boris Nemtsov”
- 2Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov
- 3‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 4Estonia votes in election amid concerns over Russia
- 5Turkish CCTV images show British girls on their way to join ISIL
- 1‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 2Russian opposition politician Boris Nemtsov shot dead in Moscow
- 3Fierce anti-Kremlin critic Boris Nemtsov shot dead in Moscow
- 4Woman missing at sea after freak waves at Game of Thrones set location
- 5Thousands rally in Athens as Syriza faces backlash over bailout
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 5English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 9International news | euronews, latest international news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 12Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 13Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 14Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 15Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 16‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 17Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20‘Europe’s interests come first’, says new Greek government | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 03:53 CET North Korea, angered by drills, fires short-range missiles off…
- 03:37 CET Australia bars travel to Mosul ahead of planned offensive
- 03:17 CET The mysterious Mr. Ri returns, urbane survivor of North Korea purge
- 02:47 CET U.S. special envoy meets Colombian peace teams for first time
- 01:42 CET More than 30 arrested as Hong Kong anti-China protesters scuffle…
- 00:56 CET Netanyahu arrives in U.S., signs of easing of tensions over Iran…
- 23:42 CET Iraq says launches offensive on Islamic State north of Baghdad
- 22:03 CET Australia says hunt for missing MH370 jet may be called off soon