The French airforce has stepped up action against Islamist fighters in Mali, where rebels have occupied the north of the country for the last nine months.
Several hundred French troops have also arrived in the country’s capital city Bamako to help protect it.
Meanwhile West African states including Ivory Coast are preparing to send troops as an international campaign against the Islamists gathers pace.
Jean-Marc Ayrault, the French Prime Minister, said: “France wants to contribute this way to stop the terrorist menace, which is not only threatenng Mali and Africa, but which is also a threat to France and Europe.”
French President Francois Hollande is due to meet European Commission president Jose Barroso.
Mali requested French invention was triggered when rebel forces moved southwards, capturing the city of Konna and threatening the cities of Mopti and Sevare, which is only 500kms from the capital city Bamoko. Konna has now been recaptured by the government.
A spokesman for al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb said he considered French actin as “crusader intervention”, and warned that if France continued, it would be “digging the tombs of [its] sons”.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 247 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 3Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 07:37 CET Leaders of Taiwan, China offer condolences for 48 dead in plane…
- 07:33 CET China plans railway to India, Nepal borders by 2020
- 07:30 CET U.S. lifts ban on flights to Israel as Gaza toll tops 700
- 02:57 CET Venezuela’s world-famous ‘vertical slum’ may be demolished
- 23:23 CET Suicide bombs in Nigeria’s Kaduna kill 82, ex-leader Buhari…
- 23:21 CET India bids to reassert influence in Nepal with power pact
- 21:26 CET Chinese president ends regional tour in cradle of Cuban Revolution
- 19:28 CET Bulgaria’s prime minister resigns with bank crisis unresolved