The French Defence Ministry says a hostage has been killed in Somalia by al Shabaab Islamic militants during a failed attempt by French forces to rescue him.
Several people were killed during the operation, including two French soldiers and 17 militants, according to news agencies Reuters and AFP.
Somali witnesses in Bula Mareer report that French helicopters attacked a militant base early on Saturday, which led to an exchange of fire.
The hostage, a French secret service agent known as Denis Allex, was seized in Mogadishu in 2009.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1EU call for unity as Spain and Portugal enter war of words with Greece
- 2Female pilot jailed in Russia proclaimed a ‘hero of Ukraine’
- 3Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 4Interview: The consequences of Boris Nemtsov’s murder
- 5Russia: floral tributes pile up at Nemtsov murder scene
- 1‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 2Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov
- 3Putin promises to hunt down killers of opposition figure Boris Nemtsov
- 4Stand-off at ‘anti-Islamisation’ march in north-east England
- 5Japan: Was brutal murder of boy, 13, inspired by ISIL?
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 7Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 8Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 9International news | euronews, latest international news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 04:40 CET Exclusive – Nemtsov killing sign of worsening climate in Russia…
- 04:28 CET North Korea reopens borders after months-long Ebola shutdown
- 04:00 CET Hillary Clinton may have broken federal record-keeping laws – …
- 03:58 CET Australia to send 300 more troops to Iraq on training mission
- 03:05 CET Video shows fatal Los Angeles police shooting of homeless man
- 03:04 CET China to hold parade, invite leaders to mark World War Two…
- 02:57 CET Obama hopes for U.S. embassy in Cuba before April summit in Panama
- 01:39 CET U.S. spy chief says he got a mixed reception in North Korea