12/01/13 10:04 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The French Defence Ministry says a hostage has been killed in Somalia by al Shabaab Islamic militants during a failed attempt by French forces to rescue him.
Several people were killed during the operation, including two French soldiers and 17 militants, according to news agencies Reuters and AFP.
Somali witnesses in Bula Mareer report that French helicopters attacked a militant base early on Saturday, which led to an exchange of fire.
The hostage, a French secret service agent known as Denis Allex, was seized in Mogadishu in 2009.
- 1G7 says ‘global growth is our urgent priority’
- 2Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 3New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
- 4French labour reform action threatens to disrupt Euro 2016 fans
- 5Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 20:59 CET Kerry welcomes bid to spur talks between Venezuela, opposition
- 20:56 CET Rio de Janeiro police investigate alleged gang rape that has…
- 20:50 CET Vietnamese man gets 40 years in U.S. prison for al Qaeda support
- 20:37 CET Freed by Russia, Ukraine’s ‘Joan of Arc’ may be thorn in own…
- 19:49 CET Turkey says U.S. ‘two-faced’ for not viewing Syrian Kurdish YPG as…
- 19:45 CET Islamic State has Euro 2016 in its sights, German spy chief says
- 19:43 CET U.N. chief ‘deeply disappointed’ by rejection of press watchdog
- 19:12 CET Hollande says won’t let protesters choke economy as police clear…