Syrian rebels have taken control of a strategic airbase in Idlib province in the north of the country.
Anti-Assad fighters claim the Free Syrian Army is now in control of the Taftanaz air field after days of fierce fighting with government troops.
Hundreds of rebels have besieged the base since November, but the tide turned when Islamist fighters reinforced them earlier this month.
As the blood letting continued international mediator Lakhdar Brahimi held talks with senior US and Russian officials in Geneva.
The negotiations, behind closed doors, appear deadlocked as the two world powers disagree over Assad’s fate in any transition.
The Syrian government has branded Brahimi as “flagrantly biased” casting doubt on his ability to orchestrate an end to the 21-month-old conflict.
For the war-weary Syrian people severe weather is adding to the difficulties.
As hundreds flee the fighting on a daily basis Saudi Arabia has announced a 7.5 million euro aid package to assist Syrian refugees stranded in Jordan.
As many as 600,000 refugees have been displaced since the conflict began and more than 60,000 people have lost their lives.
Not everyone agreed that the capture of Taftanaz was a big boost for the rebels.
Yezid Sayigh, senior associate at the Carnegie Middle East Centre in Beirut, said Taftanaz’s capture would help the rebels as they try to secure a continuous area in the north.
But he played down the broader military significance, pointing out it had taken the rebels months to take a base the government already could not use because of the fighting.
“This is a tactical gain rather than a strategic gain,” Sayigh said.
Despite capturing territory across the country’s north and east, the rebels have been plagued by divisions, a lack of equipment and disorganisation.
They have also seen their support from civilians erode in some areas because of poor discipline, looting and bad living conditions.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2One of five suspects charged after Melbourne anti-terror raids
- 3Exclusive: choose between co-operation and confrontation, Iran’s Foreign Minister warns
- 4Foreigners flee xenophobic attacks in South Africa
- 5International lenders raise pressure on Greece as cash crunch looms
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 3Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 6French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 7Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 16Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 11:49 CET Egypt court seeks death for 11 in soccer stadium case – TV
- 11:41 CET Up to 700 feared dead after migrant boat sinks off Libya
- 10:54 CET Khamenei says Iran nuclear weapons are a ‘myth’
- 08:57 CET UN investigation finds corruption in Afghan police oversight…
- 03:00 CET Mexico confirms capture of Gulf Cartel leader
- 02:23 CET Thousands in Germany protest against Europe-U.S. trade deal
- 22:27 CET Greece wants EU/IMF deal but impasse could bring referendum -…
- 20:12 CET Islamist group claims attack on U.N. peacekeepers in Mali