11/01/13 02:17 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Although France and Turkey are officially condemning the killing of three Kurdish activists in Paris, there are additional comments and questions from both countries.
Bodies of the three women were found at the Kurdish Information Centre in Paris. The victims have been named as Fidan Dogan, Leyla Soylemez and Sakine Cansiz who helped set up the Kurdistan Workers Party the PKK in the early 1980s.
With all three women shot in the head, French Interior Minister Manuel Valls has said the victims had been “without a doubt, executed” and called the killings “assassinations”.
French President Francois Hollande made no such conclusion, but did call the crime “horrible”.
The PKK has waged a 28-year insurgency against the Turkish state and is considered a terrorist organisation by Ankara, Washington and the EU.
The deputy chairman of Turkey’s leading Justice and Development party Huseyin Celik blamed the deaths on a PKK internal feud.
However, Turkey’s prime minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said it is too early to tell and the killings could be “provocation” at a time when the government has admitted to holding talks with jailed PKK leader Abdullah Ocalan.
Kurdish activists have suggested the Turkish state was responsible for the women’s deaths.
Latest world news
A leading German politician says the country’s mosques should come under state control
Will Michel Platini be back in charge for Euro 2016?
Air strike on Kunduz hospital ‘not a war crime’ says US military report
Lisbon is a no-go, taxis on a go-slow
The United Nations appeals to save the truce and negotiations in Syria
Wires > News
- 01:51 CET Oil rig helicopter crashes off Norway coast, 13 presumed dead
- 00:44 CET Six-storey building collapses as floods hit Kenyan capital, three…
- 00:10 CET Britain praises Cuba’s Castro for embracing realities of modernity
- 23:29 CET ‘Monstrous’ violence in Syria as government excludes Aleppo from…
- 23:12 CET Russian fighter did barrel roll over U.S. reconnaissance plane -…
- 21:30 CET China denies Hong Kong visit request by U.S. carrier group -…
- 21:14 CET Iran moderates eye more gains in run-off parliamentary election
- 20:14 CET Lavrov, Kerry discuss ways to strengthen Syria ceasefire – Russian…