11/01/13 23:34 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Europe’s Kurdish communities are grieving as one. The three women who had ties to the Kurdish PKK rebel movement and were found with gunshot wounds to the head in Paris are being remembered by millions on Saturday.
Turkey has asked the French authorities to boost security around its interests after the pro-Kurdish Peace and Democracy party called for protests.
The shootings have thrown a dark shadow over peace moves between the Turkish government and
jailed PKK leader Abdullah Ocalan, as the Peace and Democracy Party MP Aysel Tugluk explained.
“This murder committed, especially at such a time that Imrali talks have started, demonstrate that there are some people who don’t want Turkish-Kurdish brotherhood.
“Whenever we Turks and Kurds start to hold talks, suddenly provocations emerge and they are trying to block the process,” said Tugluk.
The motive behind the killings is still unclear. Kurdish rebels have suggested they were political. Ankara said the killings appear to have been the result of an internal feud.
Turkey, the US and the EU, list PKK as a terrorist organisation.
- 1Istanbul attack: suspects thought to come from former USSR
- 2Slovakia attacks EU post-Brexit direction on eve of taking over presidency
- 3Putin rejects new arms race and builds bridges with Turkey
- 4Critics round on Boris Johnson after Gove wields Brexit knife
- 5UK: who are the Famous Five candidates for PM?
Latest world news
Austria: Constitutional Court rules fresh presidential run-off vote must be held
Firefighting plane lost in Russia
Will Brexit help him? Australian PM calls for stability ahead of tight general election
Istanbul airport attack: the suspects and the victims
Delight for Portugal fans after another nail-biter goes down to wire
Wires > News
- 12:45 CET Austrian presidential election must be re-run, court rules
- 12:44 CET Russia stresses need for joint fight with Turkey against terrorism
- 12:42 CET Two Romanians charged in Hungary for leaving 100 migrants in…
- 12:33 CET French charity official says stabbed by couple shouting ‘Allahu…
- 12:31 CET Iran’s Rouhani accuses West of exploiting Sunni-Shi’ite rift, raps…
- 12:26 CET Turkey’s parliament passes law to restructure judiciary…
- 12:22 CET Turkey says must work with Russia for political solution in Syria
- 12:19 CET Syria’s Assad: Brexit vote shows UK leaders ‘disconnected from…