Mali is asking for military help from France in the face of fierce attacks by Islamist rebels.
The Malian army has just been driven out of the strategic northern town of Konna.
That follows the fiercest fighting since the al- Qaeda-linked militants took control of the country’s north nine months ago.
At emergency consultations of the United Nations Security Council members expressed “grave concern” and France’s ambassador Gerard Araud said: “We call on all member states to provide assistance in resolving the Malian crisis in all its aspects including military and political and I emphasise to provide support to the authorities in this country to put an end to the terrorist threat.
He said France wants the rapid deployment of an African military force in Mali, but that is likely to be months away. Meanwhile, the French Defence Ministry would not comment on reports it already has troops there.
French President Francois Hollande was due to make a statement on Mali’s request for military assistance from Paris during a New Year speech to diplomats around mid-morning on Friday, a diplomatic source said.
The fall of Konna, 600 kilometres northeast of the capital Bamako consolidates rebel control of Mali’s north.
A ceasefire deal agreed at talks in early December has been ignored.
The latest fighting threatens new peace talks that have already had to be postponed until January 21.
- 1Hungary summons French ambassador over border fence row
- 2French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius slams Hungary’s ‘migrant fence’
- 3Protesters angry over destruction of ‘Mephistopheles’ in St Petersburg
- 4Christians protest against Israel’s ‘divisive’ separation barrier
- 5Hundreds pay tribute to police officer killed at a Texas petrol station
- 1Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 2Destination northern Europe: thousands make daily ‘journey of death’
- 3Disruption continues after travellers end French motorway blockade
- 4Martin Schulz attacks ‘cynical’ EU governments over migrants crisis
- 5Palestinian women and children force Israeli soldier to release boy
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 8UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 9Latest News Bulletin
- 10Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 11Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 12ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 13Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 14Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 15International news | euronews, latest international news
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Latest world news
French PM Valls urges EU solidarity amid unprecedented migrant crisis
Ukraine: angry clashes as bill adopted granting more autonomy in the east
Migrant Crisis Live: Calais news conference by French ministers and senior EU officials
Arrest warrants issued for two new Bangkok bombing suspects
Hungary summons French ambassador over border fence row
Wires > News
- 14:52 CET Thousands sign petition to stop rape of low-caste Indian sisters
- 14:48 CET Pakistani official says Haqqani militants weakened, despite …
- 14:41 CET Police hurt in protests as Ukraine MPs votes on special status for…
- 14:17 CET Merkel expects Greece to meet commitments for bailout package
- 13:59 CET Six elite soldiers killed in eastern Congo ambush
- 13:30 CET Two police wounded by grenade outside Ukraine parliament – Reuters…
- 11:58 CET Two U.S. F-22 fighter jets arrive in Poland as part of European…
- 11:15 CET Analysis – Refugee crisis suddenly Merkel’s biggest challenge