Mali is asking for military help from France in the face of fierce attacks by Islamist rebels.
The Malian army has just been driven out of the strategic northern town of Konna.
That follows the fiercest fighting since the al- Qaeda-linked militants took control of the country’s north nine months ago.
At emergency consultations of the United Nations Security Council members expressed “grave concern” and France’s ambassador Gerard Araud said: “We call on all member states to provide assistance in resolving the Malian crisis in all its aspects including military and political and I emphasise to provide support to the authorities in this country to put an end to the terrorist threat.
He said France wants the rapid deployment of an African military force in Mali, but that is likely to be months away. Meanwhile, the French Defence Ministry would not comment on reports it already has troops there.
French President Francois Hollande was due to make a statement on Mali’s request for military assistance from Paris during a New Year speech to diplomats around mid-morning on Friday, a diplomatic source said.
The fall of Konna, 600 kilometres northeast of the capital Bamako consolidates rebel control of Mali’s north.
A ceasefire deal agreed at talks in early December has been ignored.
The latest fighting threatens new peace talks that have already had to be postponed until January 21.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 4Israeli bombing in Gaza intensifies as Palestinian death toll mounts
- 5MH17 victims to be taken to the Netherlands – Ukraine Deputy PM
- 1Malaysia Airlines cabin crew traumatised by tragedies
- 2Putin calls for an end to conflict in Ukraine as pressure builds on Moscow
- 3Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 4Dutch fury as questions about plane tragedy go unanswered
- 5Ukraine: fresh fighting reported in rebel-controlled Donetsk
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Journey to ‘the end of the Earth’ finds giant crater
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 10:54 CET Korea ferry businessman’s body found next to book, alcohol bottles
- 10:24 CET Indonesia’s likely loser in presidential race tries to delay result
- 10:01 CET Dozens of Turkish police detained over wiretapping – CNN Turk
- 09:45 CET Insight – Islamic State crushes and coerces on march towards…
- 09:34 CET Insight – Wave of migrant children threatens to swamp …
- 09:13 CET India to investigate corruption in healthcare after TV sting…
- 09:03 CET China’s secretive military cracks open door for glimpse inside
- 08:41 CET Two Turkish soldiers killed in clash with suspected smugglers near…