France appears to have taken a step closer to military intervention in Mali.
Following rebel consolidation of power in the north, its troops are on the move again, and threatening the entire country.
They have now taken the city of Konna, opening the road to the south and the capital, Bamako.
The government has just announced it is counter-attacking to retake Konna, and has deployed armour, helicopters and, according to eyewitnesses, unidentified foreign troops.
“Mali is faced with blatant aggression, so I have decided that France will respond, alongside its African partners, to the request of the Malian authorities. We will do it strictly within the framework of the United Nations Security Council resolution. We are ready to stop the terrorists’ offensive if it continues because it is a duty of solidarity and responsibility for France to uphold the Security Council’s resolution,” said French President François Hollande on Friday.
Hollande had previously ruled out the use of French troops, and will be hoping the UN’s special envoy Romano Prodi can make some progress towards peace. He has met with Mali’s interim president and the prime minister in Bamako. Malian interim President Dionounda Traore will meet Hollande in Paris on Wednesday.
- 1Nepal: more than 1,100 people killed in powerful earthquake
- 2Russian pro-Putin bikers set off on controversial “Victory Ride” to Berlin
- 3Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 4Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 5Indonesia: Seven drug convicts will be executed in days
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Spain arrests murder suspect on Britain’s most-wanted list
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 18Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 19[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 01:30 CET Russian hackers read Obama’s unclassified emails last year – NYT
- 01:23 CET FBI investigating possible Islamic State terrorism plot in U.S. -…
- 01:08 CET Nepal seeks help, death toll seen rising after devastating quake
- 00:33 CET Two Swedes abducted by Nusfra Front in Syria freed – TT news agency
- 23:31 CET Israeli forces kill two knife-wielding Palestinians – police
- 21:46 CET Migrant rescue mission must extend closer to Libya – Amnesty…
- 20:57 CET U.S. voices concern over India action against Ford Foundation…
- 20:18 CET Germany says will deny entry to some Russian Night Wolves bikers