France appears to have taken a step closer to military intervention in Mali.
Following rebel consolidation of power in the north, its troops are on the move again, and threatening the entire country.
They have now taken the city of Konna, opening the road to the south and the capital, Bamako.
The government has just announced it is counter-attacking to retake Konna, and has deployed armour, helicopters and, according to eyewitnesses, unidentified foreign troops.
“Mali is faced with blatant aggression, so I have decided that France will respond, alongside its African partners, to the request of the Malian authorities. We will do it strictly within the framework of the United Nations Security Council resolution. We are ready to stop the terrorists’ offensive if it continues because it is a duty of solidarity and responsibility for France to uphold the Security Council’s resolution,” said French President François Hollande on Friday.
Hollande had previously ruled out the use of French troops, and will be hoping the UN’s special envoy Romano Prodi can make some progress towards peace. He has met with Mali’s interim president and the prime minister in Bamako. Malian interim President Dionounda Traore will meet Hollande in Paris on Wednesday.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Iraq intensifies assault on ISIL stronghold, Tikrit
- 2[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 3Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 4‘No survivors’ as 33 people are confirmed dead in Ukraine mine blast
- 5Germany’s Merkel rebuffs talk of new Greek bailout
- 1Australian drug smugglers Chan and Sukumaran moved to ‘Indonesia’s Alcatraz’
- 2Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 3[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 4Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage
- 5Driving the future: the highlights of Press Day at the Geneva Motor Show
- 1Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted
- 2‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 3Australian drug smugglers Chan and Sukumaran moved to ‘Indonesia’s Alcatraz’
- 4[Watch] Passengers emergency evacuate crash-landed Airbus A330
- 5Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 10Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 11Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 12European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 13Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 14London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 15‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 20Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
Wires > News
- 08:11 CET Indonesian official rejects Australian death row prisoner swap…
- 08:07 CET Two Germans to be caned, jailed for Singapore train graffiti
- 08:06 CET Kidnapped Iranian diplomat held in Yemen since 2013 freed – Iran…
- 07:38 CET U.S. Syria strategy falters with collapse of rebel group
- 07:15 CET Hillary Clinton’s focus on women’s pay may resonate broadly – poll
- 07:12 CET Embattled Hillary Clinton urges U.S. State Department to release…
- 07:11 CET Syria opposition turns to internal opponents
- 07:02 CET Knife-wielding attacker slashes face of U.S. ambassador in South…