Voting is underway in the Czech Republic in the first round of voting for the country’s next president.
With nine candidates in the running the race is wide-open, but it is clear that the current era is over.
The incumbent, Vaclav Klaus could not stand again, as by law a president must leave office after two terms.
The victor is likely to pursue a more pro-EU agenda than Klaus, an outspoken euro sceptic.
All the contenders faced off in a final televised debate on Thursday evening.
Polls suggest the most likely outcome is a second round run-off between former Prime Ministers Milos Zeman and Jan Fischer.
The participation of heavily tattooed musician Vladimir Franz has brightened up the campaign. He is not expected to win, but has won some support despite having no political experience.
This election is the first direct vote by the public. Previously, the president was chosen by parliament.
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 3Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 4Libya: Rights groups slam death sentence for Gaddafi son
- 5Ukraine poised to bring corruption case against Yanukovych
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Latest world news
Clashes as Israel demolishes West Bank settlement homes
UEFA chief Michel Platini to stand for FIFA presidency
French Foreign Minister latest in line of dignitaries to visit Iran
Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar ‘is dead’, officials claim
Malik Ishaq: Pakistan Sunni militant chief dies in shootout
Wires > News
- 15:51 CET Car bomb explodes in Yemen’s capital, three dead – source
- 15:50 CET Nigeria’s Buhari in Cameroon seeks closer partnership against Boko…
- 15:31 CET Flights from Rome airport suspended due to brush fire nearby
- 15:05 CET Fabius, visiting Tehran, invites Rouhani to France
- 14:52 CET Zimbabwean men in court over killing of Cecil the lion
- 14:49 CET Croat parliament OKs withdrawal from Slovenia border arbitration
- 14:39 CET Russia’s Putin says opposes MH17 tribunal ahead of U.N. vote
- 14:34 CET China says to fight terror, people smuggling with Turkey