Voting is underway in the Czech Republic in the first round of voting for the country’s next president.
With nine candidates in the running the race is wide-open, but it is clear that the current era is over.
The incumbent, Vaclav Klaus could not stand again, as by law a president must leave office after two terms.
The victor is likely to pursue a more pro-EU agenda than Klaus, an outspoken euro sceptic.
All the contenders faced off in a final televised debate on Thursday evening.
Polls suggest the most likely outcome is a second round run-off between former Prime Ministers Milos Zeman and Jan Fischer.
The participation of heavily tattooed musician Vladimir Franz has brightened up the campaign. He is not expected to win, but has won some support despite having no political experience.
This election is the first direct vote by the public. Previously, the president was chosen by parliament.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 10Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 19Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 20Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
Latest world news
Migrant dies in Channel Tunnel
Victim of London bombings worried that people are forgetting what happened
Al Shabab gunman kill quarry workers in northeast Kenya
Dutch PM to Greece: only way to keep the euro is deep reform
Pope wows the crowds with first papal visit to Ecuador in 30 years
Wires > News
- 12:08 CET Philippines ramps up military spending in face of China threat
- 11:39 CET China kicks off war commemorations with graphic exhibition
- 11:23 CET Syrian Kurds retake northern villages from Islamic State – monitor
- 11:07 CET Turkish Airlines flight diverted to Delhi after “bomb threat”
- 10:27 CET Explosives stolen from army base in France
- 07:37 CET Senegalese risk lives in migrant exodus despite stability at home
- 07:34 CET Dream of better life in Britain fuels Calais migrant chaos
- 07:31 CET Brothers arrested over links to Islamic State bombing in Kuwait -…