The bodywork of the latest models on display at the Brussels Auto Show has caused a storm in Belgian politics.
The country’s Minister of Equal Opportunities has written a letter to organisers urging hostesses to cover up their curves.
Joelle Milquet told bosses that the show is a family event and that manufacturers should be cautious about the revealing clothes sported by the girls.
“We have to question the stereotypes we are passing on to children and young adults,” she wrote.
Joost Kaesemans, a spokesman for the organisers, said: “It’s not our job to be the moral police. We’re not going to send out a team to measure the skirts of every model.”
But car shows wouldn’t be car shows without an array of beauties sprawled over the bonnets. Some say their presence can spruce up even the ugliest set of wheels.
“I think it’s important to respect the women a little but those that we ask to come and work here they know what they’re in for,” said Caroline Stasse, head of public relations for Mitsubishi Belgium.
Joelle Milquet will attend the event, which runs until the 20th of January.
And she’ll be pleased to know some carmakers are cleaning up their act in the name of equal opportunities: men are modelling alongside the cars for the first time at the Brussels Auto Show.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 10Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 19Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news