The bodywork of the latest models on display at the Brussels Auto Show has caused a storm in Belgian politics.
The country’s Minister of Equal Opportunities has written a letter to organisers urging hostesses to cover up their curves.
Joelle Milquet told bosses that the show is a family event and that manufacturers should be cautious about the revealing clothes sported by the girls.
“We have to question the stereotypes we are passing on to children and young adults,” she wrote.
Joost Kaesemans, a spokesman for the organisers, said: “It’s not our job to be the moral police. We’re not going to send out a team to measure the skirts of every model.”
But car shows wouldn’t be car shows without an array of beauties sprawled over the bonnets. Some say their presence can spruce up even the ugliest set of wheels.
“I think it’s important to respect the women a little but those that we ask to come and work here they know what they’re in for,” said Caroline Stasse, head of public relations for Mitsubishi Belgium.
Joelle Milquet will attend the event, which runs until the 20th of January.
And she’ll be pleased to know some carmakers are cleaning up their act in the name of equal opportunities: men are modelling alongside the cars for the first time at the Brussels Auto Show.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6[LIVE] Second hostage crisis erupts in Paris as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 7Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 11Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 12euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 13Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 14A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 15HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 16NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 18Getting to know Sir Tony and “the world’s greatest tenor” | euronews, musica
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news