The bodywork of the latest models on display at the Brussels Auto Show has caused a storm in Belgian politics.
The country’s Minister of Equal Opportunities has written a letter to organisers urging hostesses to cover up their curves.
Joelle Milquet told bosses that the show is a family event and that manufacturers should be cautious about the revealing clothes sported by the girls.
“We have to question the stereotypes we are passing on to children and young adults,” she wrote.
Joost Kaesemans, a spokesman for the organisers, said: “It’s not our job to be the moral police. We’re not going to send out a team to measure the skirts of every model.”
But car shows wouldn’t be car shows without an array of beauties sprawled over the bonnets. Some say their presence can spruce up even the ugliest set of wheels.
“I think it’s important to respect the women a little but those that we ask to come and work here they know what they’re in for,” said Caroline Stasse, head of public relations for Mitsubishi Belgium.
Joelle Milquet will attend the event, which runs until the 20th of January.
And she’ll be pleased to know some carmakers are cleaning up their act in the name of equal opportunities: men are modelling alongside the cars for the first time at the Brussels Auto Show.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Dudamel’s gift of Beethoven to brotherly Bogota
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union