Bashar al-Assad can have no part in a transitional government to end the civil war in Syria.”
That was the clear message from UN and Arab League peace envoy Lakhdar Brahimi, days after the Syrian president’s defiant speech.
It is the closest Brahimi has come to calling for Assad to step down while stressing that the Geneva peace plan agreed by major powers remains the only basis for any solution.
As the thousands of refugees who have fled the war-torn country wait for an end to the violence, their struggles continue with the onset of Winter.
In Lebanon, an estimated 190,000 have sought refuge but the divided government there has not set up formal camps nor organised aid which leaves families having to improvise.
The extreme weather has raised concern for them and for those left behind.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Russia sanctions threaten to rebound on EU
- 2Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Israeli strike kills 19 Palestinians near Gaza market
- 5India: entire village buried under massive mudslide
- 1Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 2Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 3Russia defiant in face of tough EU-US sanctions
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Gaza: Deaths at Jebalya school after Israeli strike
Wires > News
- 06:51 CET Some WTO members discussing customs deal without India – sources
- 05:17 CET El Salvador detains Spanish priest for smuggling cell phones into…
- 23:05 CET Drug-resistant malaria reaches Southeast Asia borders, could…
- 21:47 CET Hezbollah commander killed in Iraq-sources
- 21:07 CET Kerry presses India on global trade deal as deadline looms
- 20:14 CET Shi’ite militia hangs up 15 executed Sunnis in Iraqi square
- 19:50 CET U.S. blacklists North Korea shipping firms over arms shipments
- 18:01 CET South Korea president’s party wins vote, green light for economic…