Bashar al-Assad can have no part in a transitional government to end the civil war in Syria.”
That was the clear message from UN and Arab League peace envoy Lakhdar Brahimi, days after the Syrian president’s defiant speech.
It is the closest Brahimi has come to calling for Assad to step down while stressing that the Geneva peace plan agreed by major powers remains the only basis for any solution.
As the thousands of refugees who have fled the war-torn country wait for an end to the violence, their struggles continue with the onset of Winter.
In Lebanon, an estimated 190,000 have sought refuge but the divided government there has not set up formal camps nor organised aid which leaves families having to improvise.
The extreme weather has raised concern for them and for those left behind.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2One of five suspects charged after Melbourne anti-terror raids
- 3Exclusive: choose between co-operation and confrontation, Iran’s Foreign Minister warns
- 4Foreigners flee xenophobic attacks in South Africa
- 5International lenders raise pressure on Greece as cash crunch looms
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 3Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 6French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 7Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 16Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 02:32 CET Islamic State shoots and beheads 30 Ethiopian Christians in Libya…
- 02:16 CET Media reports say Mexican police were involved in January killings
- 22:32 CET Iraqi Kurdish forces widen buffer around oil-rich city of Kirkuk
- 22:01 CET Iraqi Shi’ite militia says DNA tests prove Saddam aide dead
- 21:01 CET Hundreds drown off Libya, EU leaders forced to reconsider migrant…
- 20:38 CET Yemen’s Houthi leader accuses Saudi Arabia of seeking to invade
- 20:06 CET Gunmen kill eight supporters of Brazilian football club
- 20:01 CET Mexico says captures Juarez Cartel leader