10/01/13 03:25 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Bashar al-Assad can have no part in a transitional government to end the civil war in Syria.”
That was the clear message from UN and Arab League peace envoy Lakhdar Brahimi, days after the Syrian president’s defiant speech.
It is the closest Brahimi has come to calling for Assad to step down while stressing that the Geneva peace plan agreed by major powers remains the only basis for any solution.
As the thousands of refugees who have fled the war-torn country wait for an end to the violence, their struggles continue with the onset of Winter.
In Lebanon, an estimated 190,000 have sought refuge but the divided government there has not set up formal camps nor organised aid which leaves families having to improvise.
The extreme weather has raised concern for them and for those left behind.
Wires > News
- 07:34 CET China, Russia urge U.S. to drop Korea missile defence proposal
- 06:33 CET Iran holds run-off parliamentary election – state TV
- 06:15 CET Shanghai Hongqiao airport fire put out, two dead – state TV
- 06:07 CET North Korea sentences Korean American to 10 years hard labour -…
- 05:54 CET Japan’s corpse hotels upset some of the neighbours
- 01:43 CET Brazil’s Temer says a new government would focus on growth – TV
- 01:37 CET Mexico investigates top crime fighter over missing 43 students case
- 01:03 CET Former Nazi guard expected to break silence at German trial