10/01/13 03:25 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Bashar al-Assad can have no part in a transitional government to end the civil war in Syria.”
That was the clear message from UN and Arab League peace envoy Lakhdar Brahimi, days after the Syrian president’s defiant speech.
It is the closest Brahimi has come to calling for Assad to step down while stressing that the Geneva peace plan agreed by major powers remains the only basis for any solution.
As the thousands of refugees who have fled the war-torn country wait for an end to the violence, their struggles continue with the onset of Winter.
In Lebanon, an estimated 190,000 have sought refuge but the divided government there has not set up formal camps nor organised aid which leaves families having to improvise.
The extreme weather has raised concern for them and for those left behind.
- 1What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty explained
- 5EU friendly London shocked after Britain vote to leave
Latest world news
Britain’s European Commissioner Jonathan Hill resigns after Brexit vote
Britain’s EU Commissioner Jonathan Hill, who oversees EU Finance sector is resigning
EU foreign ministers demand quick divorce from Britain
World Anti-Doping Agency suspends Rio drug testing laboratory
Pope Francis says ‘never again’ to Armenians massacred in WWI
Wires > News
- 17:33 CET Brexit crisis tops off rough stretch in Obama’s push for legacy
- 17:25 CET Eight Indian police officials dead, 20 injured in Kashmir militant…
- 17:24 CET Somali Islamist militants attack hotel in Mogadishu
- 17:07 CET Irish unity vote for later, not now – foreign minister
- 16:58 CET Syrian or Russian air strikes kill dozens in eastern Syria -…
- 16:44 CET Merkel calls for sober EU divorce talks with ‘partner’ Britain
- 16:42 CET Palestinian leader retracts rabbis water poisoning allegation
- 14:12 CET After Islamist attacks, Tunisia’s tourism struggles