Three Kurdish women have been killed at the Kurdish Information Centre in Paris.
All three were shot in the head.
One of the victims, Sakine Cansiz, is a founder member of the Kurdistan Workers Party, which has waged a 28-year insurgency against the Turkish state.
Kurds in the French capital took to the streets to protest against the killings.
The murders come at a sensitive time as Turkey has recently admitted to holding talks with jailed PKK leader Abdullah Ocalan.
French police have launched a murder investigation involving homicide and anti-terrorism units.
The French Interior Minister, Manuel Valls, who visited the scene said: “Three women have been killed, no doubt murdered. It is completely unacceptable.” He added the killings were “surely an execution”.
Staff members at the centre said the murders were politically motivated.
The bodies were found soon after midnight on Thursday at the Information Centre of Kurdistan, an institute in central Paris with close links to the PKK. According to one Kurdish agency, workers broke in after seeing blood stains at the door.
Any Turkish government contacts with the PKK, deemed a terrorist group by Ankara, Washington and the EU, are also highly controversial in the Turkish political establishment.
Last summer, preceding the move to talks, saw some of the worst bloodshed of the three-decades-old conflict.
The PKK is fighting for greater Kurdish autonomy in the Turkish southeast and many Turks fear such autonomy could stoke demands for an independent Kurdish homeland and undermine Turkey.
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 3Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 4Libya: Rights groups slam death sentence for Gaddafi son
- 5Ukraine poised to bring corruption case against Yanukovych
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Latest world news
Clashes as Israel demolishes West Bank settlement homes
UEFA chief Michel Platini to stand for FIFA presidency
French Foreign Minister latest in line of dignitaries to visit Iran
Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar ‘is dead’, officials claim
Malik Ishaq: Pakistan Sunni militant chief dies in shootout
Wires > News
- 15:05 CET Fabius, visiting Tehran, invites Rouhani to France
- 14:52 CET Zimbabwean men in court over killing of Cecil the lion
- 14:49 CET Croat parliament OKs withdrawal from Slovenia border arbitration
- 14:39 CET Russia’s Putin says opposes MH17 tribunal ahead of U.N. vote
- 14:34 CET China says to fight terror, people smuggling with Turkey
- 14:15 CET Philippine military seeks almost triple defence spending amid…
- 14:00 CET Afghanistan investigating reports of Taliban leader’s death
- 13:55 CET Israeli drone strike in Syria kills two near frontier -…