The build up is underway and it started earlier than usual. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has announced the Oscar nominations ahead of the annual awards ceremony on February 24.
The short list for this year’s awards comes two weeks earlier than usual, a move designed to give people more time to see the nominated films. Movies, for example, like the US Presidential drama ‘Lincoln’.
The historical drama dominated the race for the world’s top film honours with 12 nominations which include Best Picture, Daniel Day Lewis as Best Actor with Tommy Lee Jones and Sally Field on the list for their supporting roles.
Eight other films have been given the nod for best picture including the ‘Life of Pi’.
Many thought it would be impossible to adapt Yann Martel’s fantasy adventure novel for the silver screen. It was just behind Lincoln with 11 nominations.
The short list is selected by a ballot of 6,000 members of the Academy.
Academy Award for Best Picture
- Beasts of the Southern Wild
- Zero Dark Thirty
- Silver Linings Playbook
- Les Misérables
- Life of Pi
- Django Unchained
Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- Amour (Austria)
- Kon-Tiki (Norway)
- No (Chile)
- A Royal Affair (Denmark)
- War Witch (Canada)
Academy Award for Best Actor
- Denzel Washington (Flight)
- Hugh Jackman (Les Misérables)
- Bradley Cooper (Silver Linings Playbook)
- Joaquin Phoenix (The Master)
- Daniel Day-Lewis (Lincoln)
Academy Award for Best Actress
- Naomi Watts (The Impossible)
- Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings Playbook)
- Emmanuelle Riva (Amour)
- Jessica Chastain (Zero Dark Thirty)
- Quvenzhane Wallis (Beasts of the Southern Wild)
Academy Award for Best Director
- David O. Russell (Silver Linings Playbook)
- Behn Zeitlin (Beasts of the Southern Wild)
- Michael Haneke (Amour)
- Steven Spielberg (Lincoln)
- Ang Lee (Life of Pi)
Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor
- Christoph Waltz (Django Unchained)
- Philip Seymour Hoffman (The Master)
- Robert De Niro (Silver Linings Playbook)
- Alan Arkin (Argo)
- Tommy Lee Jones (Lincoln)
Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress
- Sally Field (Lincoln)
- Anne Hathaway (Les Miserables)
- Jacki Weaver (Silver Linings Playbook)
- Helen Hunt (The Sessions)
- Amy Adams (The Master)