US President Barack Obama has named White House Chief of Staff Jack Lew to be his next Treasury secretary. The 57-year-old is the fourth senior official to be nominated by the president as he fills his second term administration team.
The new Treasury chief is set to face tough fiscal fights with Congress over the U.S. deficit.
“Jack has my complete trust, I know I’m not alone in that, and in the words of one former senator having Lew on your team is equivalent as a coach of having the luxury of putting somebody in almost any position and knowing he will do well. And I could not agree more. So, I hope the senate will confirm him as quickly as possible,” said President Obama.
Jack Lew who served as budget director for Obama and former President Bill Clinton replaces Timothy Geithner who said he would step down after one term.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Missing Malaysia Airlines plane ‘crashes off Vietnam’
- 2Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 3Malaysia Airlines plane missing, presumed crashed
- 4Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 5Mysterious case of ‘two stolen passports’ used on Malaysia Airways flight
- 1Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 2Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 3Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 4Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 5Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
Wires > News
- 01:59 CET Malaysian plane presumed crashed; questions over false IDs
- 20:23 CET Red Cross worker killed in Central African Republic
- 19:16 CET Pope names top economists, finance experts to Vatican body
- 19:03 CET Syria government forces take village near Lebanese border
- 18:30 CET EU’s Ashton visits Iran for first time; nuclear issue on agenda
- 17:46 CET Al Qaeda-linked militants in Lebanon apologise for civilian deaths
- 11:56 CET Indian airliner evacuated after rear wheel catches fire in Nepal
- 06:59 CET China says no room for compromise with Japan on history, territory