US President Barack Obama has named White House Chief of Staff Jack Lew to be his next Treasury secretary. The 57-year-old is the fourth senior official to be nominated by the president as he fills his second term administration team.
The new Treasury chief is set to face tough fiscal fights with Congress over the U.S. deficit.
“Jack has my complete trust, I know I’m not alone in that, and in the words of one former senator having Lew on your team is equivalent as a coach of having the luxury of putting somebody in almost any position and knowing he will do well. And I could not agree more. So, I hope the senate will confirm him as quickly as possible,” said President Obama.
Jack Lew who served as budget director for Obama and former President Bill Clinton replaces Timothy Geithner who said he would step down after one term.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 22:36 CET Vandals deface Pope John Paul II memorial before canonisation
- 22:24 CET Car bomb kills four in Kenyan capital
- 22:03 CET Hamas, Abbas’s PLO announce reconciliation agreement
- 22:02 CET Three charged in plot to ship chemical lab equipment from U.S. to…
- 21:55 CET Turkey’s Erdogan offers condolences for 1915 killings of Armenians
- 21:40 CET Russia, China block Central African Republic blacklistings at U.N.
- 21:28 CET U.S. Western Sahara draft urges respecting human rights, no …
- 21:02 CET New law to lure investors to Egypt could feed corruption, critics…