NATO officials say they have detected the firing of a ballistic missile within Syria landing in the north of the country.
There were similar launches on two days last week that prompted the US to call it an escalation of the civil war.
It is believed they are targeting Idlib. Newly released pictures purport to show rebels attacking an airport there as part of an attempt to neutralise the Assad regime’s superior air power.
The possibility of missile strikes from Syria has caused concern in neighbouring Turkey. German Patriot anti-missile batteries have been sent to take up position alongside Dutch and American weapons. The latest firings detected in Syria appear to match the characteristics of Scud missiles.
But the suffering is not only being caused by bombs and bullets. The winter weather is proving harsh for 12,000 refugees at the Atmah camp within Syria.
They have neither electricity nor running water, and limited fuel to burn to keep warm.
Hundreds of thousands more have fled to neighbouring countries.
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 3Modern Express towed safely into Bilbao port
- 4EU foreign ministers tell Turkey to let in the exodus from Aleppo
- 5Five migrants saved from channel after trying to sail to Britain from Calais
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 15Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Meet Bernie Sanders, the democratic socialist who wants to be US president
Latest world news
Five migrants saved from channel after trying to sail to Britain from Calais
Suicide bomber attacks Pakistani military convoy
Pope Francis celebrates Jubilee day in honour of Padre Pio
North Korea launches long-range rocket, defying international warnings
Syrian refugees flee to Turkey border as Aleppo assault intensifies
Wires > News
- 04:23 CET Man pulled out alive after Taiwan quake, more than 130 people…
- 04:07 CET Australian woman freed after kidnap by al Qaeda in Burkina Faso
- 23:56 CET More than 3,100 pregnant women in Colombia have Zika virus -…
- 22:59 CET Tunisia finishes Libya border fence intended to keep out militants
- 22:41 CET Anti-Islam movement PEGIDA stages protests across Europe
- 22:39 CET Iraq’s water minister judges only tiny danger of Mosul dam collapse
- 20:52 CET Turkey must cut migrant flows to Europe, top EU official says
- 20:44 CET Five Czechs killed as huge Austrian avalanche buries 17