Three sisters from Los Angeles producing fun and infectious folk-pop could be one of the next big things this year.
The Fleetwood Mac-inspired trio Haim have appeared in a growing number of lists produced by music channels, journalists and record labels at the start of each year.
They include MTV’s ‘Brand New for 2013’ survey, and the band topped BBC’s ‘Sound of 2013’ poll decided by over 200 experts.
Music journalists such as Q magazine’s associate editor Paul Stokes are upbeat about music in 2013 saying there are a range of artists breaking through.
“I think it will be really exciting for 2013, there seems to be a real mix and variety of stars out there, there is a young British band called Palma Violets, from London who have been hosting house parties in their house down in Southwark and that should be really cool, that’s a very exciting record. There’s Laura Mvula from Birmingham who has this sort of jazzy feel but amazing harmonised vocals and real percussive element to her music and of course there is Haim who won the BBC 2013 poll, they are three sisters from the west coast of America who do this sort of really beautiful harmonized Fleetwood Mac style music,” he says.
Laura Mvula is one of the most highly touted would-be stars of 2013: she is one of only three acts to appear both in the BBC’s ‘Sound of 2013’ poll – which is voted for by industry tastemakers – and on the shortlist for the Brits Critics’ Choice award, previous recipients of which include Jessie J, Emeli Sandé, Florence + the Machine and Adele.
Singer-songwriter Tom Odell is the first male artist to win the ‘Brit Awards’ critics’ choice prize. The 22-year-old, from West Sussex, follows in the footsteps of Adele, Emeli Sande and Jessie J who were all tipped for success by Brits’ voters.
Odell, who released his debut EP “Songs From Another Love” earlier this year, also features on the BBC ‘Sound of 2013’ longlist.
As for Palma Violets, the buzz has seen them touted as one of the bands who may propel British indie guitar music back into the charts in 2013. Their single ‘Best Of Friends’ was recently voted NME’s track of the year. Their debut album is scheduled to be released in February.
In terms of albums, there is plenty to look forward to after a rather weak 2012 from the retailers’ point of view.
“There are some great albums coming out this year – we’ve got Biffy Clyro back, Paolo Nutini with a brand new release, Arcade Fire, Lady Gaga. Who knows – maybe Adele will have a new album which would excite everybody. So there are always some good releases,” says HMV’s Gennaro Castaldo.
Here’s another one to watch –
or this crew –
Also keep an eye on American rapper and singer Miss Azealia Banks, who hit the big time late last year when her sensational ‘212’ was one of the singles of the year. A catchy Lazy Jay sample and wicked lyrics shot her to the top of the ‘NME Cool List’, and further praise beckoned when she came a coveted third place in the BBC’s ‘Sound of 2012’. She plans to release her debut studio album ‘Broke with Expensive Taste’ in February 2013.
- 114-year-old model reignites underage catwalk controversy
- 2The epic race to the South Pole on the operatic stage
- 3Postcards from Uzbekistan: The historic beauty of Rishtan ceramics
- 4Russia’s Pussy Riot mocks prosecutor general Yury Chaika in new video
- 5Coldplay in hot water for using Indian culture in video
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 5Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 9Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 10Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 17Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 18Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 19Evo Morales celebrates his birthday by playing football
- 20Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
latest le mag news
Russia’s Pussy Riot mocks prosecutor general Yury Chaika in new video
Maverick fashion designer John Varvatos: ‘Is rock dead?‘
Rachel Platten takes ‘Wildfire’ on tour
Jonathan Yeo adopts actress Cara Delevingne for new exhibition
Coldplay in hot water for using Indian culture in video