Three sisters from Los Angeles producing fun and infectious folk-pop could be one of the next big things this year.
The Fleetwood Mac-inspired trio Haim have appeared in a growing number of lists produced by music channels, journalists and record labels at the start of each year.
They include MTV’s ‘Brand New for 2013’ survey, and the band topped BBC’s ‘Sound of 2013’ poll decided by over 200 experts.
Music journalists such as Q magazine’s associate editor Paul Stokes are upbeat about music in 2013 saying there are a range of artists breaking through.
“I think it will be really exciting for 2013, there seems to be a real mix and variety of stars out there, there is a young British band called Palma Violets, from London who have been hosting house parties in their house down in Southwark and that should be really cool, that’s a very exciting record. There’s Laura Mvula from Birmingham who has this sort of jazzy feel but amazing harmonised vocals and real percussive element to her music and of course there is Haim who won the BBC 2013 poll, they are three sisters from the west coast of America who do this sort of really beautiful harmonized Fleetwood Mac style music,” he says.
Laura Mvula is one of the most highly touted would-be stars of 2013: she is one of only three acts to appear both in the BBC’s ‘Sound of 2013’ poll – which is voted for by industry tastemakers – and on the shortlist for the Brits Critics’ Choice award, previous recipients of which include Jessie J, Emeli Sandé, Florence + the Machine and Adele.
Singer-songwriter Tom Odell is the first male artist to win the ‘Brit Awards’ critics’ choice prize. The 22-year-old, from West Sussex, follows in the footsteps of Adele, Emeli Sande and Jessie J who were all tipped for success by Brits’ voters.
Odell, who released his debut EP “Songs From Another Love” earlier this year, also features on the BBC ‘Sound of 2013’ longlist.
As for Palma Violets, the buzz has seen them touted as one of the bands who may propel British indie guitar music back into the charts in 2013. Their single ‘Best Of Friends’ was recently voted NME’s track of the year. Their debut album is scheduled to be released in February.
In terms of albums, there is plenty to look forward to after a rather weak 2012 from the retailers’ point of view.
“There are some great albums coming out this year – we’ve got Biffy Clyro back, Paolo Nutini with a brand new release, Arcade Fire, Lady Gaga. Who knows – maybe Adele will have a new album which would excite everybody. So there are always some good releases,” says HMV’s Gennaro Castaldo.
Here’s another one to watch –
or this crew –
Also keep an eye on American rapper and singer Miss Azealia Banks, who hit the big time late last year when her sensational ‘212’ was one of the singles of the year. A catchy Lazy Jay sample and wicked lyrics shot her to the top of the ‘NME Cool List’, and further praise beckoned when she came a coveted third place in the BBC’s ‘Sound of 2012’. She plans to release her debut studio album ‘Broke with Expensive Taste’ in February 2013.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 10Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 11Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 12[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 13Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 16Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 17Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 18What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 19[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 20Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank