Three sisters from Los Angeles producing fun and infectious folk-pop could be one of the next big things this year.
The Fleetwood Mac-inspired trio Haim have appeared in a growing number of lists produced by music channels, journalists and record labels at the start of each year.
They include MTV’s ‘Brand New for 2013’ survey, and the band topped BBC’s ‘Sound of 2013’ poll decided by over 200 experts.
Music journalists such as Q magazine’s associate editor Paul Stokes are upbeat about music in 2013 saying there are a range of artists breaking through.
“I think it will be really exciting for 2013, there seems to be a real mix and variety of stars out there, there is a young British band called Palma Violets, from London who have been hosting house parties in their house down in Southwark and that should be really cool, that’s a very exciting record. There’s Laura Mvula from Birmingham who has this sort of jazzy feel but amazing harmonised vocals and real percussive element to her music and of course there is Haim who won the BBC 2013 poll, they are three sisters from the west coast of America who do this sort of really beautiful harmonized Fleetwood Mac style music,” he says.
Laura Mvula is one of the most highly touted would-be stars of 2013: she is one of only three acts to appear both in the BBC’s ‘Sound of 2013’ poll – which is voted for by industry tastemakers – and on the shortlist for the Brits Critics’ Choice award, previous recipients of which include Jessie J, Emeli Sandé, Florence + the Machine and Adele.
Singer-songwriter Tom Odell is the first male artist to win the ‘Brit Awards’ critics’ choice prize. The 22-year-old, from West Sussex, follows in the footsteps of Adele, Emeli Sande and Jessie J who were all tipped for success by Brits’ voters.
Odell, who released his debut EP “Songs From Another Love” earlier this year, also features on the BBC ‘Sound of 2013’ longlist.
As for Palma Violets, the buzz has seen them touted as one of the bands who may propel British indie guitar music back into the charts in 2013. Their single ‘Best Of Friends’ was recently voted NME’s track of the year. Their debut album is scheduled to be released in February.
In terms of albums, there is plenty to look forward to after a rather weak 2012 from the retailers’ point of view.
“There are some great albums coming out this year – we’ve got Biffy Clyro back, Paolo Nutini with a brand new release, Arcade Fire, Lady Gaga. Who knows – maybe Adele will have a new album which would excite everybody. So there are always some good releases,” says HMV’s Gennaro Castaldo.
Here’s another one to watch –
or this crew –
Also keep an eye on American rapper and singer Miss Azealia Banks, who hit the big time late last year when her sensational ‘212’ was one of the singles of the year. A catchy Lazy Jay sample and wicked lyrics shot her to the top of the ‘NME Cool List’, and further praise beckoned when she came a coveted third place in the BBC’s ‘Sound of 2012’. She plans to release her debut studio album ‘Broke with Expensive Taste’ in February 2013.
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 13New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 16‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 17Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 18Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 20Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
latest le mag news
Billy Gibbons goes solo and David Bowie has a new single
The Dark Years – an exhibition in Berlin of art during the years of the Second World War
Pentatonix riding a wave of success
‘Madame Bovary’ and the danger inherent in art
‘Under Japanese influence’ Sukita’s Bowie photos on show