Greece’s unemployment rate climbed to a new record of 28.6 percent of the workforce in October.
The number of people who are out of work has almost tripled in the past three years as austerity measures have battered its economy.
After six years of recession, the jobless total in the debt-laden country is more than double the eurozone’s average.
Unemployment among young Greeks – those under 24 – reached a new record of 56.6 percent.
A record 1.34 million Greeks were without work in October, up 38 percent from the same month in 2011, the government statistics service ELSTAT said, with another 36,219 lost after September when the jobless rate stood at 26.2 percent.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8Egyptian billionaire offers to buy Mediterranean island to house refugees
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 11Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 12Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 13Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 14Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 15Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 16Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 17International news | euronews, latest international news
- 18Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 19What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 20[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
latest economy news
Amazon to stop selling Apple and Google streaming devices
US jobs growth stumbles, fueling economy fears
More deflation fears as eurozone industrial producer prices fall
Household spending up in Japan, easing recession fears
Air France plans ‘significant’ job cuts after pilot talks break down
Wires > Business
- 09:40 CET Merkel says VW scandal has not hurt Germany’s reputation as good…
- 02:46 CET Insight – After VW, Germany needs EU friends to join its party
- 21:17 CET Chinese firms eyeing 30 percent or less in Hinkley Point – report
- 16:15 CET Greece must stick to programme to exit bailout – PM
- 15:46 CET IMF mission to Ukraine looks to eurobond holders participation in…
- 03:11 CET IMF, central banks in the spotlight
- 00:29 CET Exclusive – Lockheed Martin mulls merger of some services units…
- 22:33 CET Prick asset bubbles with rates? Fed officials split