Jerusalem has virtually ground to a standstill after Israel’s worst snowstorm for 20 years.
Up to 15 centimetres fell overnight, forcing public transport and schools to shut down.
The city’s emergency department urged residents to stay at home and make it a day with the family.
On the roads, many vehicles which had ventured out got stuck. The main highway between Jerusalem and Tel Aviv was reported to be blocked.
There has been severe weather in the West Bank too where hail, snow and heavy rain brought flooding and landslides. Four Palestinians died.
Dozens of houses were flooded in the Gaza Strip.
In the north of Israel along the border with Lebanon, much of the Galilee region was paralysed by the rare wintry conditions with 30 centimetres of snow reported in the city of Safed.
Latest world news
Princess Charlotte: Photos released to mark first birthday
Washington DC chemical leak after freight train derails
‘Night Wolves’ bikers refused entry into Poland
Peru’s most wanted man is deported from Colombia
Kerry arrives in Geneva to push for Syrian ceasefire to include Aleppo
Wires > News
- 08:32 CET Drones, Turkish artillery hit Islamic State in Syria, 34 dead -…
- 08:16 CET Kuwait freedoms make austerity drive tricky for government
- 06:51 CET China airs two more confessions by Taiwan fraud suspects
- 05:42 CET South Korea revives GPS backup project after blaming North for…
- 04:25 CET Egyptian police raid press syndicate, arrest two journalists
- 03:32 CET Wary of China’s Indian Ocean activities, U.S., India discuss…
- 03:12 CET Brazil’s Rousseff ups social spending as Senate ruling looms
- 03:08 CET Pope condemns paedophilia as details of girl’s death shock Italy