10/01/13 18:15 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
France and Turkey have condemned the killing of three female Kurdish activists in Paris.
Kurds turned out in anger after the women’s bodies were found shot in the head in a Kurdish centre.
One of the victims, Sakine Cansiz, is a founder member of the Kurdistan Workers Party or PKK, an armed separatist group which has waged a 28-year insurgency against the Turkish state.
The murders come at a sensitive time as Turkey has recently admitted to holding talks with jailed PKK leader Abdullah Ocalan, with a view to ending the conflict.
The Kurdish institute in Paris, the scene of the murders, has close links to the PKK which is deemed a terrorist group by the EU and the US.
The French Interior Minister Manuel Valls identified one of the victims as the head of the centre. A murder investigation involving homicide and anti-terrorism units is underway.
Residents and people working nearby are shocked. “This barbaric, savage crime is unspeakable. We are shattered. I think someone wanted above all to attack symbols,” said lawyer Seve Aydin-Izouli.
“For 20 years we’ve been working here in Kurdish associations in France, and we have never been attacked in such a ferocious way, in such a busy street. There are lots of questions to answer,” said Eyyüp Doru of the Party for Peace and Democracy in Turkey.
Staff members at the centre said the murders were politically motivated.
Euronews correspondent Giovanni Magi at the scene said: “The 10th district of Paris houses a very large Kurdish community, which numbers nearly 150,000 people in France. It’s a community profoundly shocked by this extremly violent act.”
The PKK is fighting for greater Kurdish autonomy in the Turkish southeast and many Turks fear such autonomy could stoke demands for an independent Kurdish homeland and undermine Turkey.
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 3Turkey warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’ over downing of fighter jet
- 4Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
- 5Turkey detains journalists who allege army lorries carried weapons for ISIL
- 1Turkey dismisses Russia’s economic threats over downing of fighter jet
- 2Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 3Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 4Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 5Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 4Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 5Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid
Latest world news
Top Kurdish lawyer Tahir Elci shot dead in Turkey
Ahead of COP21, climate-change activists prepare to march on London
Mali: at least 3 dead, 4 seriously injured in attack on UN base in Kidal
Police name Planned Parenthood shooting suspect
Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
Wires > News
- 15:16 CET Police, migrants clash on Macedonia border; soldiers build fence
- 15:13 CET Ahead of climate summit, French use emergency laws to put…
- 15:12 CET Spain’s Rajoy vows to cut tax, create jobs if re-elected
- 14:59 CET China police bust online gun ring, seize 1,180 guns – Xinhua
- 14:54 CET Police fire tear gas on crowd of mourners in eastern Congo
- 14:45 CET Kenya arrests two Iranians suspected of planning attacks – ministry
- 14:28 CET Top Kurdish lawyer killed in southeast Turkey, protests expected
- 13:22 CET Syrian army advances against Islamic State east of Aleppo – Syria…