An explosion ripped through a car in a main thoroughfare in Tel Aviv on Thursday and the city’s ambulance service said at least four people were injured in the blast which happened near a bus.
Police are working on the theory that criminals were behind the explosion and it was an attempt to kill an alleged gang kingpin. Local media sources reported the car, a black Mazda, belonged to the head of an alleged organised crime family.
It is claimed the vehicle’s owner has been the target of at least seven previous assassination attempts, but he did not appear to be in the car at the time of this blast.
One website quoted witnesses saying they saw a person on a motorcycle plant an explosive device on the Mazda.
Commentators say in recent years Israel has become a ferocious battleground for criminal gangs involving several families.
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
- 5Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 3Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 4More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 5Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
France PM Valls hints at tweaks to labour laws as strikes and protests go on
France holds international commemorations to mark the centenary of the Battle of Verdun
French police arrest man on low-level terror watch list
Dutch court agrees extradition of French terror suspect
Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
Wires > News
- 18:59 CET Egypt rights activist says banned from travel
- 18:28 CET Australian family facing deportation highlights UK immigration…
- 18:21 CET Clashes at French protests, union warns of Euro football disruption
- 18:16 CET Trump, Le Pen, Brexiteer Johnson dubbed a ‘horror’ show as …
- 17:38 CET Afghanistan sees Taliban leader as rigid conservative uninterested…
- 17:26 CET Sanders may debate Trump, not Clinton, before California contest
- 16:59 CET Migrants stranded in Greece take to fields to avoid state-run camps
- 16:52 CET Italy says migrant boat capsized, second in two days