10/01/13 19:19 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A mass of red clad supporters on the streets of Caracas led a party atmosphere on the day their president was scheduled to be sworn in for a new six-year term in Venezuela.
But there was no Hugo Chavez – still hospital bound in Cuba.
Political allies gathered at the rally. The presidents of Uruguay, Bolivia and Nicaragua were among the crowd which had started to congregate from early morning.
“The Supreme Court spoke to all Venezuelan people and the entire world. What else? Chavez can come in and out of the country whenever he wants,” said one supporter in the crowd.
The opposition has reacted to that decision by the country’s top court and the postponement of the inauguration, a first in Venezuelan history.
“Institutions should not respond to the interests of a party. After all, the fight was over respecting the constitution, not about a change of government.
None of these leaders were elected on October 7. There is one leader in the ruling party, and that’s the president of the country,” opposition leader Henrique Capriles told a press conference.
It was on October 7th last year Chavez and his supporters celebrated another election victory. But the cancer-stricken president has not been seen or heard of for almost a month. Venezuela’s 29 million people wait and watch for the next developments.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Latest world news
Australia vows no change in asylum policy after Somali woman sets herself on fire
Solar Impulse aircraft lands in Phoenix, Arizona
Corsican separatists to end military campaign
Lady Gaga attends Fashion and technology expo in NY
Venezuela opposition collects signatures in bid to oust President Maduro
Wires > News
- 10:24 CET Obama says Chinese-led trade deal shows need for TPP – Washington…
- 09:27 CET Turkish military returns fire into Syria after rockets hit border…
- 09:23 CET Spanish police arrest four accused of promoting Islamist militancy
- 09:20 CET Air strikes hit Islamic State stronghold in Syria – monitor
- 09:01 CET Baby girl pulled out alive three days after Kenya building…
- 08:41 CET After brawl, Turkish parliament committee votes to lift lawmakers‘…
- 08:32 CET Fire destroys 50 shelters in Myanmar camp for displaced – witness
- 07:56 CET Two Turkish soldiers, five Kurdish militants killed in attack