No date has been set for the inauguration of Venezuela’s ailing President Hugo Chavez after the country’s Supreme Court endorsed its postponement due to his ill health.
The judicial decision which stated the cancer-stricken president remains the country’s leader without the ceremony has caused uproar among his critics.
Opposition leader Henrique Capriles accused the Supreme Court of becoming politicised.
“The Supreme Court gave an interpretation of the constitution and made its decision, and it’s a binding decision (we must accept it). But we can debate it. We even have the right to do so. The Supreme Court decided to resolve a problem for the benefit of the ruling party.”
It means the South American country is in the hands of Vice President Nicolas Maduro as de facto leader of the government while Chavez continues being treated in Cuba.
Government leaders insist the 58-year-old is fulfilling his duties as head of state from a hospital bed, but there has been no evidence that he is even conscious.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane missing with 116 people on board
- 3Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 4‘Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Yatsenyuk
- 5Sudanese mother sentenced to death in Sudan meets the Pope in Rome
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 1[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 547 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
Wires > News
- 06:36 CET Over half of China military airfields threatened by high-rises
- 06:28 CET Australia to ship Tamil asylum seekers to its mainland -…
- 06:00 CET Australia to ship Tamil asylum seekers to its mainland -…
- 05:59 CET Impossible to determine cause of South Korea ferry businessman’s…
- 04:43 CET Venezuela protests arrest of ex-intelligence head wanted in U.S.
- 04:18 CET Wreckage of Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people found in Mali
- 03:34 CET Shelling of Gaza school kills at least 15; toll nears 800
- 03:24 CET Al Jazeera journalists jailed in Egypt say they will appeal