No date has been set for the inauguration of Venezuela’s ailing President Hugo Chavez after the country’s Supreme Court endorsed its postponement due to his ill health.
The judicial decision which stated the cancer-stricken president remains the country’s leader without the ceremony has caused uproar among his critics.
Opposition leader Henrique Capriles accused the Supreme Court of becoming politicised.
“The Supreme Court gave an interpretation of the constitution and made its decision, and it’s a binding decision (we must accept it). But we can debate it. We even have the right to do so. The Supreme Court decided to resolve a problem for the benefit of the ruling party.”
It means the South American country is in the hands of Vice President Nicolas Maduro as de facto leader of the government while Chavez continues being treated in Cuba.
Government leaders insist the 58-year-old is fulfilling his duties as head of state from a hospital bed, but there has been no evidence that he is even conscious.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
Schulz urges UK to make a speedy EU exit
Volkswagen to pay historic 15.3 billion dollars for cheating US emissions tests
‘‘chères collègues, do not let Scotland down now!”
Fears of contagion in Europe after UK Brexit vote
UK: Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn loses confidence vote in wake of Brexit vote
Wires > News
- 20:34 CET Sweden, Kazakhstan, Ethiopia, Bolivia elected to U.N. Security…
- 20:31 CET Spain arrests 13 suspected of fraud at high-speed rail project
- 20:25 CET EU leaders tell Britain to exit swiftly, market rout halts
- 20:02 CET Russian warship carried out ‘unsafe’ operation near U.S. ships -…
- 19:34 CET Spanish court urges trial of ex-Catalan leader over referendum
- 19:28 CET Germany girds for potential spike in Islamic State attacks in…
- 18:27 CET Iraqis from Falluja in ‘desperate’ need of aid – charity
- 18:13 CET Michelle Obama, daughters and mom promote girls’ education in…