Venezuela confirmed on Tuesday that it will postpone the presidential inauguration on January 10 due to Hugo Chavez’s ongoing health problems.
The head of the national assembly announced the news in a letter from Vice President Nicolas Maduro which said:
“The Commandant President has asked us to inform you that, in accordance with the recommendations of the medical team that is taking care of re-establishing his health, the process of post-operative recovery will extend further than January 10 of this year. Because of this, he will not be able to appear on that day in front of the National Assembly”
The letter gave no details about the socialist leader’s condition, or any idea of when the inauguration might take place.
Opposition leader, Henrique Capriles, said a postponement is unconstitutional: “There needs to be a response from the Supreme Court, that is what it says in the constitution. I don’t know what the magistrates of the Supreme Court are waiting for, this is now creating a conflict in Venezuela, without doubt, related to the constitution.”
Hugo Chavez has not been seen or heard from in public since going through complex surgery for cancer in Cuba a month ago.
But the government insists he is still fulfilling his duties as head of state.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 22:36 CET Vandals deface Pope John Paul II memorial before canonisation
- 22:24 CET Car bomb kills four in Kenyan capital
- 22:03 CET Hamas, Abbas’s PLO announce reconciliation agreement
- 22:02 CET Three charged in plot to ship chemical lab equipment from U.S. to…
- 21:55 CET Turkey’s Erdogan offers condolences for 1915 killings of Armenians
- 21:40 CET Russia, China block Central African Republic blacklistings at U.N.
- 21:28 CET U.S. Western Sahara draft urges respecting human rights, no …
- 21:02 CET New law to lure investors to Egypt could feed corruption, critics…