09/01/13 01:05 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Venezuela confirmed on Tuesday that it will postpone the presidential inauguration on January 10 due to Hugo Chavez’s ongoing health problems.
The head of the national assembly announced the news in a letter from Vice President Nicolas Maduro which said:
“The Commandant President has asked us to inform you that, in accordance with the recommendations of the medical team that is taking care of re-establishing his health, the process of post-operative recovery will extend further than January 10 of this year. Because of this, he will not be able to appear on that day in front of the National Assembly”
The letter gave no details about the socialist leader’s condition, or any idea of when the inauguration might take place.
Opposition leader, Henrique Capriles, said a postponement is unconstitutional: “There needs to be a response from the Supreme Court, that is what it says in the constitution. I don’t know what the magistrates of the Supreme Court are waiting for, this is now creating a conflict in Venezuela, without doubt, related to the constitution.”
Hugo Chavez has not been seen or heard from in public since going through complex surgery for cancer in Cuba a month ago.
But the government insists he is still fulfilling his duties as head of state.
Latest world news
German weekend football dominated by AfD chief’s ‘racist’ Boateng comment
Germany: Storm leaves several dead including teenage girl and firefighter
Mexican footballer Alan Pulido freed after kidnap ordeal
Washington pays tribute to US military casualties at Memorial Day concert
Iraq army ‘begins assault’ on ISIL bastion of Falluja
Wires > News
- 12:29 CET Turkey’s Erdogan – No Muslim family should engage in birth control
- 12:11 CET Roadside bomb kills two police in southeast Turkey – security…
- 12:09 CET Philippine Congress proclaims Duterte winner of presidential…
- 11:56 CET China’s anti-graft agency investigates Jiangsu province deputy…
- 11:49 CET Turkish government says wants presidency bill in parliament soon
- 11:46 CET Turkey, Israel still discussing normalisation – Turkish deputy PM
- 11:44 CET Bahrain lengthens Shi’ite leader’s jail term to 9 years -…
- 11:42 CET Turkey’s Erdogan accuses Russia of arming PKK militants – newspaper