The last potential ‘End of the World’, on December 21, 2012, may have proven something of a non-event but doomsday fans are already looking forward to another. It comes in the shape of an asteroid named Apophis (after a demon from Egyptian mythology), a 270-metre wide rock that will come within a mere 14 million kilometres of our planet sometime on Thursday morning.
Those who wish to catch a glimpse of it can turn to the slooh website from 01:00 CET on Thursday, where footage of Apophis will be streamed in real time thanks to telescopes installed on the Canary Isles. Miss it and you will have to wait until 2029 to see Apophis again, although on that occasion it will come within just 30,000 kilometres of Earth (see the video below), around 13 times closer than the Moon.
Apophis, or 99942 Apophis to give it its full name, holds the record for being the most likely near-Earth object to actually hit Earth; it is the only asteroid to reach Level 4 on the 10-level Torino Scale that measures the likelihood of collisions.
NASA had previously estimated that there was a one in 45 chance that the asteroid would collide with Earth in 2029, although – thankfully – it has revised those odds and now predicts there is only a one in 250,000 chance of a catastrophic collision in 2036. For those of you curious to know what that might look like, take a look at this….
- 1Video emerges of France train hero Spencer Stone stabbing
- 2Syrian army claims major anti-IS campaign has begun
- 3Video emerges of France train hero Spencer Stone stabbing
- 4NATO must respond to a more assertive Russia – Stoltenberg
- 5Israel braces itself for Friday prayers protests as violent attacks continue
- 1Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 23D, 360° virtual reality is ready to launch – on an adult film
- 3Bombing in Syria not World War III, says Russia’s EU ambassador
- 4Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 5Syria: We believe that Russia has the wrong strategy, says US
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 10Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 11Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 12[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 13Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 16Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 17Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 18What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 19[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 20Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank
Latest world news
Turning point for FIFA? Blatter crisis sparks calls for overhaul of football’s governing body
Tunisian National Dialogue Quartet wins 2015 Nobel Peace Prize
Ebola-infected Scottish nurse readmitted to hospital
New Horizons finds blue skies and water ice on Pluto
UN proposes unity government in Libya
Wires > News
- 13:17 CET Taxis parade once-empty streets of North Korean capital
- 13:12 CET China says U.S. human rights report biased
- 12:56 CET Refugee arrivals in Greece surge with bad weather ahead – IOM
- 12:38 CET Islamic State makes closest advance to Aleppo, Iranian killed
- 11:36 CET Swedish PM says asylum numbers could top 150,000 this year
- 11:27 CET China plane maker reveals stealth jet capabilities to lure buyers
- 11:07 CET Italy sends Eritreans to Sweden to seek asylum under EU plan
- 10:16 CET In India, a test for Modi’s economic reforms and Hindu agenda