Venezuela’s top court has ruled the postponement of Hugo Chavez’s scheduled inauguration on Thursday is constitutionally legitimate.
The cancer-stricken president remains the country’s leader the court said. The chief judge told a news conference it was impossible to say when, how or where the swearing-in ceremony would take place and added the inauguration can be carried out at a later date in front of the Supreme Court. Luisa Morales spelled out the reasons.
“In spite of the fact the January 10 marks a new Constitutional Period it is not necessary to have a new swearing-in for President Hugo Rafael Chavez Frias as he is the re-elected President and due to the fact there was no interruption in the exercise of his duties,” she said.
The 58-year-old is reportedly now in a delicate condition according to the government and so unable to attend the inauguration for his new six-year-term. He has not been seen or heard from for almost a month.
Opposition leaders were enraged by the initial decision to postpone Thursday’s ceremony. Now the Supreme Court’s ruling has quashed their appeals for an interim president to be named.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 5Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 6Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 7British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 8Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 9Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 10Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 11How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 12Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 17Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 18International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 09:48 CET U.S. military says air-drops weapons for Kurdish fighters near…
- 09:28 CET Polish president wants euro decision after 2015 vote – report
- 08:14 CET Japan needs to send officials to North Korea on abduction issue -…
- 08:08 CET Japan PM Abe suffers setback as two ministers quit
- 05:50 CET Mexico feds to replace 13 local police forces suspected of crime…
- 05:33 CET Indonesia’s Joko Widodo sworn in as president
- 05:17 CET Famed US-born translator and Chinese citizen, dies aged 98
- 04:18 CET Australia set to help China seize assets of corrupt Chinese…