Venezuela’s top court has ruled the postponement of Hugo Chavez’s scheduled inauguration on Thursday is constitutionally legitimate.
The cancer-stricken president remains the country’s leader the court said. The chief judge told a news conference it was impossible to say when, how or where the swearing-in ceremony would take place and added the inauguration can be carried out at a later date in front of the Supreme Court. Luisa Morales spelled out the reasons.
“In spite of the fact the January 10 marks a new Constitutional Period it is not necessary to have a new swearing-in for President Hugo Rafael Chavez Frias as he is the re-elected President and due to the fact there was no interruption in the exercise of his duties,” she said.
The 58-year-old is reportedly now in a delicate condition according to the government and so unable to attend the inauguration for his new six-year-term. He has not been seen or heard from for almost a month.
Opposition leaders were enraged by the initial decision to postpone Thursday’s ceremony. Now the Supreme Court’s ruling has quashed their appeals for an interim president to be named.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 2Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 3Russia defiant in face of tough EU-US sanctions
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Gaza: Deaths at Jebalya school after Israeli strike
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
Wires > News
- 21:29 CET Two killed, 100 injured in gas explosion in Taiwan – Xinhua
- 20:00 CET Ukraine premier stays on, envoys agree on crash site route
- 19:56 CET Sierra Leone declares emergency as Ebola death toll hits 729
- 19:29 CET Russia’s top general says Moscow committed to nuclear missile…
- 19:26 CET Kenya charges 9 foreigners over 377-kg heroin haul
- 19:13 CET Azerbaijan detains rights activist accused of espionage
- 19:08 CET Iraqi Shi’ite militias use hit lists to pick off foes – police
- 19:01 CET Thai junta gives security forces majority in interim legislature