09/01/13 19:08 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
One Russian man has died and another is injured in hospital after what was supposed to be a thrilling ride in the Caucasus Mountains went wrong.
Friends filmed as they were sent off down the slope in the large ball known as a “zorb” – and could only watch in horror as it went off course and plunged over a precipice.
The supplier said every safety rule had been broken. Sergey Loginov, Deputy Director of Z-orb.ru said: “Everything was wrongly organised. Like any other attraction, zorbing presents a certain danger. They did not have a launchpad equipped, it was just a snowhill they would roll people from in a zorb. Secondly, the route was not fenced off at all, and there was an obvious abyss on the left.”
The accident prompted Russia’s emergencies minister to demand the country address its lax enforcement of safety rules for winter sports, citing a series of accidents over the January holidays.
The sport of zorbing originated in the 1990s in New Zealand and is now done around the world, most often on grassy slopes.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
Schulz urges UK to make a speedy EU exit
Volkswagen to pay historic 15.3 billion dollars for cheating US emissions tests
‘‘chères collègues, do not let Scotland down now!”
Fears of contagion in Europe after UK Brexit vote
UK: Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn loses confidence vote in wake of Brexit vote
Wires > News
- 20:34 CET Sweden, Kazakhstan, Ethiopia, Bolivia elected to U.N. Security…
- 20:31 CET Spain arrests 13 suspected of fraud at high-speed rail project
- 20:25 CET EU leaders tell Britain to exit swiftly, market rout halts
- 20:02 CET Russian warship carried out ‘unsafe’ operation near U.S. ships -…
- 19:34 CET Spanish court urges trial of ex-Catalan leader over referendum
- 19:28 CET Germany girds for potential spike in Islamic State attacks in…
- 18:27 CET Iraqis from Falluja in ‘desperate’ need of aid – charity
- 18:13 CET Michelle Obama, daughters and mom promote girls’ education in…