09/01/13 19:08 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
One Russian man has died and another is injured in hospital after what was supposed to be a thrilling ride in the Caucasus Mountains went wrong.
Friends filmed as they were sent off down the slope in the large ball known as a “zorb” – and could only watch in horror as it went off course and plunged over a precipice.
The supplier said every safety rule had been broken. Sergey Loginov, Deputy Director of Z-orb.ru said: “Everything was wrongly organised. Like any other attraction, zorbing presents a certain danger. They did not have a launchpad equipped, it was just a snowhill they would roll people from in a zorb. Secondly, the route was not fenced off at all, and there was an obvious abyss on the left.”
The accident prompted Russia’s emergencies minister to demand the country address its lax enforcement of safety rules for winter sports, citing a series of accidents over the January holidays.
The sport of zorbing originated in the 1990s in New Zealand and is now done around the world, most often on grassy slopes.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
80,000 flee as inferno threatens Canadian oil hub
Aleppo a city of slaughter as diplomats struggle for solutions
EU Commission to call for visa-free travel for Turks
Australia votes on July 2 after PM Turnbull calls election
Brazil’s top prosecutor requests probe into Dilma Rousseff’s role in Petrobras scandal
Wires > News
- 13:29 CET Russia withdraws 30 aircraft from Syria – TASS cites defence…
- 13:23 CET Russia to form three new military divisions to counter NATO
- 13:21 CET EU proposes scheme to share out asylum seekers
- 13:20 CET Turkey will keep responding to rocket fire from Syria – Erdogan
- 13:15 CET Bangladeshi group met in parks, plotted attacks, says Singapore
- 13:06 CET Tanker leaves east Libyan port without loading, amid stand-off…
- 12:55 CET China to carry out more military drills in South China Sea
- 12:50 CET Isolated Nepal PM not ready to go after Maoists call for change