Which films, which stars will dominate this awards season? The British Academy of Film and Television Arts in London has provided the first clue.
“Lincoln” telling the story of U.S. President Abraham Lincoln’s battle to end slavery leads the pack having scooped a total of 10 nominations including Daniel Day-Lewis for best actor. Four other films are in the running, Argo, Les Miserables, Life of Pi and Zero Dark Thirty.
“I think this is actually a stand-out year. The range, the diversity, the quality, from big block- buster films to small quiet films, from American cinema to French cinema it is absolutely fantastic. It is a really, really good year,” opined John Willis BAFTA Chairman
Lincoln’s lead actor Day-Lewis’s co-stars Tommy Lee Jones and Sally Field have been shortlisted for best supporting actor and actress. But the films award-winning director Steven Spielberg was not nominated for best director. Some critics believe the movie won’t clean up in all the categories.
“You have a very, very widely spread series of votes so it means when you get to the awards ceremony you probably will not get one big winner you will get a number of films recognised. I think that is a very good thing,” said critic Mark Kermode.
Les Miserables the movie version of the global hit stage musical was the only British film to feature in the best film category.
And there was a final farewell to Dame Judi Dench in her role as M in James Bond after 17 years playing the character. She was nominated in the best supporting actress category.
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 4Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 5Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Latest world news
“Arrivo Berlin” – a project in Berlin training migrants to prepare for work
Clashes as Israel demolishes West Bank settlement homes
UEFA chief Michel Platini to stand for FIFA presidency
French Foreign Minister latest in line of dignitaries to visit Iran
Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
Wires > News
- 17:53 CET Zimbabwean charged over killing of Cecil the lion
- 17:50 CET Afghan intelligence agency says Taliban’s leader is dead
- 17:47 CET U.S. approves possible sale of $5.4 billion in missiles to Saudi…
- 17:46 CET Somalia’s planned 2016 elections will not be a popular vote
- 17:36 CET New Italian opposition group pledges support for Renzi reform
- 17:23 CET U.N. mediator proposes Syria working groups on issues in conflict
- 17:15 CET Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 17:10 CET Ukraine names detained Russian soldier, charges him with terrorism