Irish Prime Minister Enda Kenny has used the official curtain raiser for his country’s EU presidency to urge the UK not to loosen its ties with Europe.
He was speaking during a press conference with his deputy, Eamon Gilmore, and European Council President Herman Van Rompuy.
Hours after David Cameron had told parliament he wanted to alter Britain’s relationship with the EU, Kenny urged the British Prime Minister to stay inside the bloc.
“Britain is an essential part of the European Union and has played a fundamentally important role in the development of the single market which is very important for British business and British good and to the British people,” Kenny told journalists.
The Taoiseach also downplayed talk from Downing Street of trying to repatriate powers from the EU. Kenny said reopening treaty negotiations would “open the floodgates” to other member states seeking similar concessions.
British PM Cameron is set for another clash with Brussels at the next EU budget talks, which are expected to be held in February.
- 1EU could give more money to Hungary as it struggles to cope with migrant crisis
- 2Germany and France call for stronger EU policy on migrant crisis
- 3Belgium to discuss measures to deal with migrants entering country
- 4European ministers to discuss extra train security measures
- 5The long road north: thousands of migrants now taking the Balkan route
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 9UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 10Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 11Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 12ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 13Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 14Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 15International news | euronews, latest international news
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
latest europe news
Record number of migrants attempting to cross the Mediterranean
Austria tops the migrant league
Ukraine asks Europe for more help to support Minsk accords
EU Agriculture Council called over falling milk and pork prices
Belgium to discuss measures to deal with migrants entering country