Irish Prime Minister Enda Kenny has used the official curtain raiser for his country’s EU presidency to urge the UK not to loosen its ties with Europe.
He was speaking during a press conference with his deputy, Eamon Gilmore, and European Council President Herman Van Rompuy.
Hours after David Cameron had told parliament he wanted to alter Britain’s relationship with the EU, Kenny urged the British Prime Minister to stay inside the bloc.
“Britain is an essential part of the European Union and has played a fundamentally important role in the development of the single market which is very important for British business and British good and to the British people,” Kenny told journalists.
The Taoiseach also downplayed talk from Downing Street of trying to repatriate powers from the EU. Kenny said reopening treaty negotiations would “open the floodgates” to other member states seeking similar concessions.
British PM Cameron is set for another clash with Brussels at the next EU budget talks, which are expected to be held in February.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 3[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 4Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 5French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 6Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 7eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 8International news | euronews, latest international news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 14Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 15Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Germany: Violence flares at anti-austerity protest against new ECB headquarters | euronews, world news
- 18European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 19[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news