Pakistan’s ambassador in New Delhi has been summoned to the Indian foreign office over the killing of two of its soldiers in Kashmir.
Indian officials said Pakistani troops crossed into the disputed region and fired on an army patrol.
Pakistan’s military has rejected the claims.
Indian army officials said one of their soldiers was found ‘badly mutilated’ in a forested area on the side of the demarcation line controlled by India.
India’s defence minister A.K.Antony told reporters in New Delhi: “The Pakistan army’s action is highly provocative. The way they treated the dead bodies of the Indian soldiers is inhuman.”
India considers Kashmir its territory, but Pakistan disputes that and wants the population to be allowed to decide.
Cross-border exchanges are common along the 740 kilometre frontier despite a ceasefire between the two nuclear-armed nations. India claims eight of its troops were killed last year in scores of incidents.
Pakistan claims these latest allegations are to divert attention from the killing of one of its soldiers by Indian forces two days before.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1ISIL fighters ‘flee’ Iraq’s Sinjar as Peshmerga troops ‘make gains’
- 2New Romanian President Klaus Iohannis vows to tackle corruption
- 3‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 4Who is the EU’s worst at spending Brussels’ billions?
- 5New laws to ‘wipe out’ militants after Pakistan school massacre
- 1Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 2Israel launches airstrike on Gaza in apparent retaliation for rocket attack
- 3Australian mother arrested after eight children stabbed to death
- 4Kyiv terror plot foiled, says Ukrainian security service
- 5Obama says Sony made a “mistake” in cancelling movie over cyber threats
- 1Rosetta team is euronews’ people of 2014
- 2Thailand’s Princess Srirasmi renounces royal status and will divorce
- 3Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 4Left-wing extremists run riot in upscale Zurich, Switzerland
- 5Australia: two hostages and gunman dead after police storm Sydney siege café
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 5Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 8NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 11Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 12Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 13Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 14The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 17Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 18Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 19Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 20Pakistan Taliban ‘kill over 100’ in Peshawar school attack | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 04:40 CET China foreign minister says willing to help Russia
- 03:47 CET China tells U.S. opposes all forms of cyber attacks, ‘terrorism’
- 03:13 CET Analysis – Young Cuban-American groups emerge as Obama allies
- 02:54 CET Florida police officer dies on duty after getting shot, run over
- 02:10 CET China arrests thousands in porn, gambling crackdown – Xinhua
- 01:35 CET Police officers’ slaying raises pressure on New York mayor
- 00:24 CET Syria says Israeli drone downed in Quneitra
- 00:03 CET Invoking Allah, driver slams car into pedestrians in eastern France