09/01/13 10:35 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Pakistan’s ambassador in New Delhi has been summoned to the Indian foreign office over the killing of two of its soldiers in Kashmir.
Indian officials said Pakistani troops crossed into the disputed region and fired on an army patrol.
Pakistan’s military has rejected the claims.
Indian army officials said one of their soldiers was found ‘badly mutilated’ in a forested area on the side of the demarcation line controlled by India.
India’s defence minister A.K.Antony told reporters in New Delhi: “The Pakistan army’s action is highly provocative. The way they treated the dead bodies of the Indian soldiers is inhuman.”
India considers Kashmir its territory, but Pakistan disputes that and wants the population to be allowed to decide.
Cross-border exchanges are common along the 740 kilometre frontier despite a ceasefire between the two nuclear-armed nations. India claims eight of its troops were killed last year in scores of incidents.
Pakistan claims these latest allegations are to divert attention from the killing of one of its soldiers by Indian forces two days before.
- 1Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 2G7 says ‘global growth is our urgent priority’
- 3New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
- 4French labour reform action threatens to disrupt Euro 2016 fans
- 5Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 23:15 CET No new signal from EgyptAir jet since day of crash, search…
- 23:08 CET Poll gives Peru’s Fujimori 5.8 point lead a week before election
- 22:55 CET Putin says Romania, Poland may now be in Russia’s cross-hairs
- 22:51 CET U.S. lawmakers want Obama to impose sanctions on Congo
- 22:26 CET Trump pulls out of debate showdown with Sanders
- 22:06 CET Ex-Guinea-Bissau PM calls government’s dismissal ‘constitutional…
- 22:04 CET Greece says sanctions against Russia not productive
- 21:54 CET U.S. judge sentences Vietnamese man to 40 years for al Qaeda…