09/01/13 10:35 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Pakistan’s ambassador in New Delhi has been summoned to the Indian foreign office over the killing of two of its soldiers in Kashmir.
Indian officials said Pakistani troops crossed into the disputed region and fired on an army patrol.
Pakistan’s military has rejected the claims.
Indian army officials said one of their soldiers was found ‘badly mutilated’ in a forested area on the side of the demarcation line controlled by India.
India’s defence minister A.K.Antony told reporters in New Delhi: “The Pakistan army’s action is highly provocative. The way they treated the dead bodies of the Indian soldiers is inhuman.”
India considers Kashmir its territory, but Pakistan disputes that and wants the population to be allowed to decide.
Cross-border exchanges are common along the 740 kilometre frontier despite a ceasefire between the two nuclear-armed nations. India claims eight of its troops were killed last year in scores of incidents.
Pakistan claims these latest allegations are to divert attention from the killing of one of its soldiers by Indian forces two days before.
- 1Slovakia attacks EU post-Brexit direction on eve of taking over presidency
- 2Istanbul attack: suspects thought to come from former USSR
- 3Putin rejects new arms race and builds bridges with Turkey
- 4Austria: Constitutional Court rules fresh presidential run-off vote must be held
- 5Critics round on Boris Johnson after Gove wields Brexit knife
Latest world news
Russian and Turkish foreign ministers meet in Sochi
Europe falls silent to commemorate the centenary of the Battle of the Somme
British, US and European bond yields tumble on the prospect of lower interest rates
The National Liberation Army fails to follow in the footsteps of FARC rebels and lay down arms
The UK needs a Brexit prime minister – Gove
Wires > News
- 18:53 CET Putin says Russia to talk to NATO on measures of trust and…
- 18:27 CET Witnessing migrants being rescued at sea
- 18:13 CET Avoid flights over Baltic Sea with transponders off – Finnish…
- 18:08 CET Two suspects in Istanbul attack identified as Russian – Turkish…
- 17:47 CET Three Kenyan police reported held over disappearances, rights…
- 17:26 CET Czech Republic says you can call us Czechia
- 17:17 CET Israel to cut Palestinian tax transfers after West Bank killing
- 17:16 CET Syrian warplane crashes near Damascus, rebels say pilot killed