Pakistan’s ambassador in New Delhi has been summoned to the Indian foreign office over the killing of two of its soldiers in Kashmir.
Indian officials said Pakistani troops crossed into the disputed region and fired on an army patrol.
Pakistan’s military has rejected the claims.
Indian army officials said one of their soldiers was found ‘badly mutilated’ in a forested area on the side of the demarcation line controlled by India.
India’s defence minister A.K.Antony told reporters in New Delhi: “The Pakistan army’s action is highly provocative. The way they treated the dead bodies of the Indian soldiers is inhuman.”
India considers Kashmir its territory, but Pakistan disputes that and wants the population to be allowed to decide.
Cross-border exchanges are common along the 740 kilometre frontier despite a ceasefire between the two nuclear-armed nations. India claims eight of its troops were killed last year in scores of incidents.
Pakistan claims these latest allegations are to divert attention from the killing of one of its soldiers by Indian forces two days before.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukraine as it happened: Crimean referendum widens US-Russia split
- 2Ukraine as it happened: EU and US announce sanctions to Russia as talks linger on
- 3Syria’s Assad expresses support for Putin on Ukraine
- 4Russia: Pussy Riot suffer burns and head injuries after being attacked at McDonalds
- 5Ukraine police on alert as violence erupts at pro-Russia demo
- 1Oscars 2014: ’12 Years a Slave’ makes history with best picture Oscar
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Moscow start talks with Kyiv under US and EU threats of sanctions
- 3Read Jared Leto’s touching, thoughtful acceptance speech
- 4Ukraine: Violent clashes in Kharkiv leave dozens injured
- 5Ukraine as it happened: UN envoy chased in Crimea, Russia-US talks in Paris
Wires > News
- 21:03 CET Netanyahu says Israel would give up ‘some settlements’ for peace
- 20:45 CET Iran, world powers hold ‘substantive and useful’ nuclear talks
- 20:44 CET Yemen names new oil and interior ministers – state news agency
- 20:40 CET U.S. State Department says June deadline on Syria chemical weapons…
- 19:58 CET Ted Turner rushed to clinic in Argentina with appendicitis-media
- 19:44 CET Sarkozy’s phone tapped by investigators – Le Monde
- 19:38 CET Gaza Palestinians protest Egypt’s Hamas ban
- 19:29 CET South Africa, Rwanda expel diplomats in row over Rwandan exiles