Fifa’s decision to ban Hungary fans from their country’s all-important World Cup qualifying game against Romania in March has been met with mixed reactions.
The ban was handed down following anti-Semitic chanting by fans in a friendly at home against Israel in August.
The country’s FA have appealed the decision, the local press have called it shocking, but most people on the streets of Budapest and elsewhere in the country feel Fifa got it right.
One supporter said: ‘‘I think this was the right decision and it will be a lesson for the football fans as to how they should enjoy football matches in a cultured way.”
Hungarian fans were also seen taunting the Israeli team by waving Iranian flags – implying they were not safe.
Another Hungary fan said: “I think this is a problem, but it’s a problem of a certain small group of the fans and now it affects the whole football society.”
Fifa also handed a similar punishment to Bulgaria after its fans racially abused a Denmark player in October.
In both cases FIFA’s disciplinary committee warned that a repeat offence would lead to even harsher penalties, including points deduction, the forfeiting of the match or even disqualification from the World Cup.
- 1Russia’s expensive Olympic village falling into ruin
- 2Greek freejumper delights crowds in Santorini in the Redbull Art of Motion 2015 finals
- 3Blistering Bayern, faltering Real Madrid and Arsenal defy the critics, all in the latest edition of The Corner
- 4Third Tashkent Judo grand prix begins in Uzbekistan
- 5England dumped out of their own World Cup
- 1England dumped out of their own World Cup
- 2Rugby World Cup 2015: England crash out after 33-13 loss to Australia
- 3Djokovic takes the glory but both he and Nadal take the money in Thailand exhibition
- 4Thick haze in Singapore disrupts World Cup finals
- 5Rugby World Cup 2015: South Africa down Scotland to move top
- 1Djokovic takes the glory but both he and Nadal take the money in Thailand exhibition
- 2Champions League day two match preview
- 3England dumped out of their own World Cup
- 4Sagan makes history and gives Slovakia its first cycling World Champion
- 5Roma and Arsenal crash, Barcelona come back in latest Champions League clashes
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 10Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 11Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 12Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 13Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 14Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 15Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 18What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 19[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 20EU split as UN approves raising of Palestinian flag
Russia’s expensive Olympic village falling into ruin
Liverpool manager sacked eight games in to Premier League
Frankie Dettori wins Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe on Golden Horn
Greek freejumper delights crowds in Santorini in the Redbull Art of Motion 2015 finals
Rugby World Cup 2015: England crash out after 33-13 loss to Australia
Wires > Sport
- 21:30 CET Indian Wells executive Simon appointed WTA chief
- 21:29 CET Soccer-Elia recalled as injury replacement for Netherlands
- 21:08 CET UEFA delays punishing Romania for fans’ racist behaviour
- 20:25 CET Australia flanker Hooper cited for shoulder charge
- 20:04 CET South Africa parole review delays Pistorius release
- 19:39 CET I’m incredibly disappointed to leave Liverpool – Rodgers
- 19:30 CET English businesses join fans mourning early World Cup exit
- 19:27 CET Springboks seek to banish doubts with strong finish